Chick with green watery poop?

Sleek28

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
Hi, I️ have a chick that seems to have dwarfism. He’s always had abnormal poops. What illnesses cause green watery poop?

Here’s a few pictures of her:
96D644D8-83BC-4809-BB49-04A3AFCFF802.jpeg
2A17CC70-2CD4-4E21-BF43-69CB5430285F.jpeg
7918B75C-4893-4D22-ADF3-7B6F2B86CB78.jpeg

Her name is Kevin and she is a 12 week old CLB. Could stomach problems be the cause of her tiny ness and her stumpy, labored, walking and limping?

Thanks

It is very possible. Does she act normally concerning food/water and activity? Have her poops always been this way? It's very possible that she has a genetic nutritional/digestive deficiency, causing her to not be able to get all the nutrients she needs. I have a chick that has a similar problem. She can't fully digest her food, so she takes much much longer to grow. She's almost 5 weeks old and has almost no feather progression. Try getting her a very nutritional feed, one with lots of vitamins and nutrients.

It is very possible. Does she act normally concerning food/water and activity? Have her poops always been this way? It's very possible that she has a genetic nutritional/digestive deficiency, causing her to not be able to get all the nutrients she needs. I have a chick that has a similar problem. She can't fully digest her food, so she takes much much longer to grow. She's almost 5 weeks old and has almost no feather progression. Try getting her a very nutritional feed, one with lots of vitamins and nutrients.
She doesn’t eat very much, but drinks a ton of water. She lays down most of the time. I’m pretty sure she has always had this. Her Keel bone is extremely prominent, she is very skinny. Her poop is very stinky as well. Today I️ noticed that her abdomen is very bloated and she seems to have pasty butt.

Thanks

Hi, I️ have a chick that seems to have dwarfism. He’s always had abnormal poops. What illnesses cause green watery poop?

Here’s a few pictures of her: View attachment 2234575View attachment 2234576View attachment 2234577
Her name is Kevin and she is a 12 week old CLB. Could stomach problems be the cause of her tiny ness and her stumpy, labored, walking and limping?

Thanks
She doesn’t eat very much, but drinks a ton of water. She lays down most of the time.
her abdomen is very bloated and she seems to have pasty butt
What do you feed?
Any way you can take a poop sample to your vet for testing?

You mention drinking lots of water - is her crop empty first thing in the morning before eating/drinking?

Green poop can be from a number of things from infection to not eating well. The mention of the abdomen being very bloated is concerning. When she hatched did her navel seem to heal over well - if you look at the abdomen is there any discoloration of skin?

What do you feed?
Any way you can take a poop sample to your vet for testing?

You mention drinking lots of water - is her crop empty first thing in the morning before eating/drinking?

Green poop can be from a number of things from infection to not eating well. The mention of the abdomen being very bloated is concerning. When she hatched did her navel seem to heal over well - if you look at the abdomen is there any discoloration of skin?
I️ feed her flock raiser because she is kept with ducks and quail.

We don’t have any vets in the area that will do avian testing.

Her crop is always very empty, almost concave. I️ have seen her eat.

I️ bought her from a feed store, so I️ am not sure about the Navel healing. Her abdominal skin is a purplish color.

Thanks

I️ feed her flock raiser because she is kept with ducks and quail.

We don’t have any vets in the area that will do avian testing.

Her crop is always very empty, almost concave. I️ have seen her eat.

I️ bought her from a feed store, so I️ am not sure about the Navel healing. Her abdominal skin is a purplish color.

Thanks
OK, so she's a CLB, so her skin color should be a shade of yellow - is it just abdomen that is a purplish color?
I'm not a vet nor expert, but I would give a good guess that she's got an infection.
@casportpony and @Eggcessive may want to chime in as well.
An antibiotic may help her-hard to know. Likely Baytril would be the choice, but do keep in mind it's banned for use in poultry. You can order that online https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

I would try to encourage her to eat if she will. I know you are trying to do what you can for her. Sometimes things go wrong and the outcome is not what we want it to be.

OK, so she's a CLB, so her skin color should be a shade of yellow - is it just abdomen that is a purplish color?
I'm not a vet nor expert, but I would give a good guess that she's got an infection.
@casportpony and @Eggcessive may want to chime in as well.
An antibiotic may help her-hard to know. Likely Baytril would be the choice, but do keep in mind it's banned for use in poultry. You can order that online https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

I would try to encourage her to eat if she will. I know you are trying to do what you can for her. Sometimes things go wrong and the outcome is not what we want it to be.
Is there a reason why it is banned?
All of my other CLB’s have pinkish yellow looking abdominal skin. I️ will try to get her to eat some canned food for now, until more help comes along.

Thanks

Is there a reason why it is banned?
All of my other CLB’s have pinkish yellow looking abdominal skin. I️ will try to get her to eat some canned food for now, until more help comes along.

Thanks
Are you keeping other chicks with this one?
If it were me, I would consider housing the CLB separately just in case it does have infection that could be passed through the poop.

I'm sorry that she's not thriving, if you happen to lose her, then getting a necropsy through your state lab would give you more information. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

This article explains about Baytril. You can also search FARAD for more information.
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...s in the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics.

Are you keeping other chicks with this one?
If it were me, I would consider housing the CLB separately just in case it does have infection that could be passed through the poop.

I'm sorry that she's not thriving, if you happen to lose her, then getting a necropsy through your state lab would give you more information. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

This article explains about Baytril. You can also search FARAD for more information.
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...s in the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics.
She has always been housed with other chicks and none of them have every had the same problems. I️ had an older hen with these exact symptoms who had stopped laying and had really bad arthritis. She passed away a few weeks ago. In her last few days her legs were so bad that she would walk a few steps and lay down and would lay down to eat. She was very skinny and rarely ate. She was lethargic and wouldn’t go near the other chickens. I️ assumed it was internal laying, but I️ guess not because now I️ have a chick with it.🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ll look in to the autopsy.

If I️ give her Baytril and she doesn’t have a ailment in that regards, will it hurt her? Or is it kind of like antibiotics for good measure?

Is there any chance this is Coccidis? I’m going to the feed store today to get food, so if needed I️ can pick up Corid.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom