Chick with hanging sack of skin

gwretch

Hatching
Jun 6, 2017
IMG_1541.JPG
Hello,

I just got my first flock of chicks today in the mail from My Pet Chicken. Unfortunately, the White Leghorn arrived with a sack of bare skin hanging from one side. It doesn't seem bothered by it and is still eating and drinking. I have separated it from the others with hardware cloth inside the brooder to prevent them from picking at it.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is there any chance it will get better in its own, or do I need to find a vet to remove it? The only post I was able to find that looked similar was this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-weird-skin-flap-pictures.778433/

It also has a crooked toe that I've since splinted.

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of encouragement! The other 9 chicks are doing great.

Sorry it's so hard to tell what's going on in the picture. She's not easy to photograph!

I am at a loss :( I would think it is something developmental ... whatever the case Mypetchicken should refund the cost of that chick as it for sure has issues

Thanks for trying! :)

Yeah, I'm sure they will (still waiting to hear back from their "chicken expert"), but I'm not really concerned about the $3. Just not excited to have a big vet bill right out the gate. I feel like it may be something that eventually gets covered in feathers, but hate to have to separate her from the rest for so long.

yea i understand Chickens are true survival of the strongest creatures .... if they sense something's not right maybe a sick or weak bird will usually end up dead. I think they would pick peck and poke at that chick until it was dead so separating it might be the only way to get it to live any length of time

Back
Top Bottom