Chick with head tilted back

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
Our broody hatched some chicks yesterday. This morning we noticed the one that was doing all the cheeping had gotten out from under her and she was completely ignoring it. Also falling on her back.
We picked her up and her little head falls backward. Like the position they take when they swallow while drinking but a little further.
When I gave a gentle, gradual resistance on the back of her neck she was able to come forward and eventually lay her head down (being warmed up in our hands for a while)... however she seemed to have little intermittent fits of wanting to tilt her head back again.
We gave her some nutri-drench as a drench dose, pretty sure I got about 2 drops in her. Put her in a tub under heatlamp on the dryer so we could keep an eye on her.
We sat her on some paper towel and I put a stuffed animal over her, which happened to be the perfect size for her to nestle between the limbs (a sitting zebra) and when she tilts her head back it offers a bit of support so she doesn't go too far.

What else can we do for her?

Back
Top Bottom