Chick with hips rotated out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenrisingfarm, Feb 3, 2014.

1. greenrisingfarm

greenrisingfarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Yamhill, Oregon
    Helpout Chick with hips rotated out? Hatch was due at noon on the 2nd. This chick piped 6 a.m. on the 1st. Seemed to make some progress. At 1 a.m. this morning, the 3rd, I helped out but left a little less than half of the shell attached. 15 mins. later it kicked off the rest of the shell. It seemed healthy but was having a difficult time as it could not stand or walk.

6:50 a.m. I used vet wrap to make a hobble figuring it was splayed legs. I have used this before with ducks and chickens successfully.

This evening I realized that it seems like it's hips are moving the wrong direction. It is laying body and head over it's legs, and the hip joints seem to be turned out. I can gently rotate them to what I think is the correct position. It does not seem to be in pain. I even tried to wrap it so the hips were held in place. It still could not stand. After about 10 min. I removed all wraps.

I looked and searched on this site and on the Poultry Podiatry site but cannot seem to find anything similar.

I believe it would have a chance if I could just figure out how to help correct the problem. I realize the window for a successful intervention is closing fast. Any ideas?

I will be checking back in about 4 hours. It is goat kidding season and I have to goat kids to bottle feed. ;) Thank you for any assistance!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    @SpeckledHills may be able to advice you on this. Can you take some pics of the chick to show us what you're dealing with?

3. greenrisingfarm

Dec 10, 2012
    Yamhill, Oregon
    Here are a couple of pictures.
    [​IMG]

In the picture below, my fingers are next to the hips that are bulging out.

[​IMG]

I have no idea what to do to help this little guy. This chick is from some expensive hatching eggs that were shipped to me. I do not know if this breeder has had similar issues in the past.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Check for Perosis causing Slipped Tendons in the Hock Joints.

My impression is that Slipped Tendons would usually leave the feet still pointing downward toward the floor, though. However, perhaps they could cause the feet to turn inward toward each other as your chicks appear to?

Otherwise, I don't really have a good idea of what could cause the problem. Perhaps displaced hip joints? Those sometimes go back into place over time, but I don't know how likely this would be with a chick like this. Perhaps yes, if the chick's hips just hadn't fully developed before it started struggling a lot with hatching? If that was the case, wrapping the hips to keep them close to its body (if you can figure a good way to do that) might help, or putting the chick in a chick donut or sling/chair.

If you think everything is actually in place but just not moving correctly, you could try Physical Therapy (on the Podiatry page) if that doesn't seem painful.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. greenrisingfarm

Dec 10, 2012
    Yamhill, Oregon
    Thanks so much for your reply. I was just thinking I should cull. It seems so healthy otherwise. I guess if it is not in pain, I could try the braces and see if there is any improvement. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I knew better than to try shipped eggs again. Kicking myself!!!!!

6. kristen203

kristen203 Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Did you ever figure out what to do with the hips?? I have one with one hip bulging .. taping the legs helps the feet but not the hip

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by