Chick with infected eye

cakkleberrylane

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Florida
Pretty gruesome pictures, but I'm hoping this is not as bad as it looks.

I found this little guy, absolutley filthy outside. I brought him in and gave him a bath so I could see exactly what else might be wrong with him. He's wild, but didn't mind me picking him up and fussing with him. I put triple antibiotic ointment on anything that looked like it might need it including the eye. I found him yesterday early afternoon, he didn't eat for the rest of the afternoon, but started pecking at some chick starter. I have been dipping his beak in some water to which I have added terymycin and today he's eating and drinking (and obviously perching). I guess he has fowl pox too. Any ideas on what else I should do for him?
Thanks.
DSC05446.jpg
DSC05444.jpg
DSC05445.jpg

You can get terramycin from most feed stores. It's a topical antibiotic. However, that looks pretty bad. I'd say if it doesn't show progress within 12 hours of applying an antibiotic, you'd be kind to dispatch the poor thing.

If it is fowl pox, the bird can survive...it's like chicken pox once you get it you always have the antibodies.
Since he's a "stray", I'd keep him away from the rest of your flock. do his chores last and change your clothes afterwards.

His eye seems better today, there is a slit now like a normal eye. He's still eating and drinking. I used the terramycin ointment, but also put a little sprinkle of it in his water.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom