1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with infected eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cakkleberrylane, Sep 12, 2007.

1. cakkleberrylane

cakkleberrylane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    Pretty gruesome pictures, but I'm hoping this is not as bad as it looks.

I found this little guy, absolutley filthy outside. I brought him in and gave him a bath so I could see exactly what else might be wrong with him. He's wild, but didn't mind me picking him up and fussing with him. I put triple antibiotic ointment on anything that looked like it might need it including the eye. I found him yesterday early afternoon, he didn't eat for the rest of the afternoon, but started pecking at some chick starter. I have been dipping his beak in some water to which I have added terymycin and today he's eating and drinking (and obviously perching). I guess he has fowl pox too. Any ideas on what else I should do for him?
    Thanks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'd ask the vet for some antibiotic cream for eyes...You can smear it around and that helps infections in their eyes.
    Poor baby.

3. cakkleberrylane

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    I'll do that. Do you think he'll live?
    Thanks very much.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can get terramycin from most feed stores. It's a topical antibiotic. However, that looks pretty bad. I'd say if it doesn't show progress within 12 hours of applying an antibiotic, you'd be kind to dispatch the poor thing.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If it is fowl pox, the bird can survive...it's like chicken pox once you get it you always have the antibodies.
    Since he's a "stray", I'd keep him away from the rest of your flock. do his chores last and change your clothes afterwards.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I'd be worried about the health of the rest of your flock. Good luck! Hope it pulls though.

7. cakkleberrylane

Jan 13, 2007
    Florida
    His eye seems better today, there is a slit now like a normal eye. He's still eating and drinking. I used the terramycin ointment, but also put a little sprinkle of it in his water.

Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by