Chick with Injured Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calliope_sky, Apr 9, 2009.

1. calliope_sky

calliope_sky New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I am totally new to the whole chicken thing, so please bear with me.

We got four chicks this week via mail order. We ordered 5, but one didn't survive. We're using a huge, high-sided aluminium tub as their pen for now, the heat lamp is mounted pretty high, there's a low branch down the lenght of the tub (for them to hop on), and we're using shaved wood (?) for bedding. (apologies if I'm using all the wrong terms) Anyway, on to the immediate need. Sometime between last night and today, the RI Red was either pecked in the eye or somehow injured it. [​IMG]

The eyelid is completely closed and there looks to be a little bit of blood on the lid. I can see the eyeball moving underneath the lid, but the lids will not open/seperate. I tried applying very very light pressure above and below the lid in attempt to pull the eyelids apart, but the chick squirmed too much and I was afraid of doing more harm than good. Hubby tried to, very gently, use a warm wet Qtip to wipe along the eye, but that didn't work either.

Other that the eye issue, the chick is active, eating, drinking, poo-ing, and not in any way lethargic. She is running a little lopsided and the other chicks are not being overly abusive.

So, any advice?

Thanks for your help and patience and I apologize for the long message.

2. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a similar problem with one of my chicks who I'm sure was pecked by the 'Queen Bee' firstborn chick. I'd like to know if anyone else had a good outcome from this.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    First off get some saline solution and flush the eye out{contact lens cleaner.} Then there is an ointmernt called "Terramycin." You can purchase this at a feed store or a vet. Usually its cheaper at a feed store. Apply both products several times a day. I usally do three times a day. Getting pecked in the eye by another chicken spreads tons of bacteria. Be sure to have the injured bird seperated.

You said your birds eye is swollen shut. Can you look and see if you chicken has what looks like foreign matter in the corner of the eye toward the beak area? This would be a whitish or yellowish looking matter? If so let me know and I will help you get it out of there. If not follow the steps above. Keep me posted. I had the same thing happen just months ago and I ended up curing my bird.

Sara

4. calliope_sky

calliope_sky New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice.

DH went and got the saline solution and was able to get the eyelids apart. We didn't get the terramycin (couldn't find it) but the eye seems undamaged and is ok.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

5. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    This happened to one of my EE chicks about 2 weeks ago. There was no blood but the eye lid was shut. She would also not take water good. She would drink it and then it would ooze out of her beak. She was just like yours as it was running around and active. I elected to quarintine her until she could open it because the chicks were taking advantage of her. She spent the night in isolation despite all of the fussing she did. she refused to eat or drink while in eye sight and to be honest it was quite pitiful. I left knowing that one night wouldn't be so bad. I came in the next morning to find all of the food eaten, the water drank, and the chick basking in the brooder light. The eye had healed and when I put her sorry self back in with the others again, she immediately picked a play fight and was back to her old self again. That has been my experience with this type of injury.

vortec

6. calliope_sky

calliope_sky New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    UPDATE-

Its Sunday night and our little RIR is not doing well at all. Although hubby was able to get her eye open, she's now every lethargic. I don't think she's going to make it. [​IMG] We've moved her into a cardboard box within the brooder-- it has bedding, water and food and is towards the warmer side of the brooder (towards the 98 degree Farenheit side). I picked her up earlier and she just went to sleep in my cupped hands. I will update tomorrow. Both hubby and I are really sad; we've never had chickens before and I never knew it was possible to get so attached in four days.

Just a thought-- both of us have really nasty head-colds. Any chance they could get sick from us?

7. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    You need to have her where she can get to a cooler spot in case she gets to hot. I sent you a PM.

Welcome to the club of the addiction of chickens. Before long you will be talking to everyone you know about chickens. You will be telling stories about your birds as if you were talking about your children. You will start making plans for more coops and buying incubators and sharing pics with everyone. Then you will start making plans for your chickens treats but will forget all about your hubbys meals. If you don't have enough room at your current residence for all the chickens you want than you will find yourself looking for a new place to live. It happens to all of us. Welcome and just go with the flow. [​IMG]

8. calliope_sky

calliope_sky New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    UPDATE #2

Sadly, the little RIR passed away last night. Thanks everyone for your advice, help, and virtual hugs. [​IMG]

9. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I am sorry to hear about your chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by