Chick with injured leg - can they live normally?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Equine_Angel, May 7, 2011.

1. Equine_Angel

Equine_Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    I have tried everything for my chick to fix her leg and it is not doable. She is still getting around without using her right leg, but can she live normally this way? I believe she is eating and drinking, playing with her mates. I was thinking of making a small prosthetic from her hock to provide her a bit more stability. Has anyone done that?

She has a slipped tendon and her hock has not been able to keep it in place, but she is using her hock to walk on. From the hock down her leg stretches in front of her. Oh I don't know. It is hard to see this, but I really do not know what to do. Also, me being pregnant doesn't help [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. Equine_Angel

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    Hi Miss Lydia,

I have used some of the things on the website. I have been trying to work her leg out doing some physio style exercises, but last night I have noticed that the tendon and leg has almost completely stiffened. I will look through the website further. She is not getting picked on and keeps up with the others, but chirps a lot. I am still giving her some aspirin in the day to try and keep the inflammation down, which there is none to see.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have heard of chickens doing ok after losing a foot. I know it is hard to decide how much time to put into the little chick, especially when you have so many animals and a baby on the way (congrats!)

I can understand why you might want something to cushion her hock to protect it, too. I don't have personal experience, but here is a link with some info.

http://www.oandp.com/edge/issues/articles/2006-01_09.asp

Maybe others will have some advice based on their own experience.

5. Equine_Angel

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    Well... after many hours of playing with foam and going through three different prototypes, I have found a temporary leg brace that is helping Sugar, my little injured/deformed chick, to walk on her hock without getting a bad infection. She is still getting use to it and I know that she doesn't like it to much, but she is faster than the other growing chicks. She is a remarkable chick.

I will shortly be going through a few more prototypes for her leg to see what will suit her best. Fingers crossed and I will post pictures soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by