Chick with injured leg/foot

TrinityChickens

Hatching
May 4, 2021
I just took home an injured chick from a local feed store and I’m not sure how to help her. She appears to have an injured leg/foot because when she stands, she keeps her right leg off the ground and her middle toe is completely curled inwards. She can hardly walk and has very low energy.

I saw that people have made chick booties with vet wrap/tape to correct crooked toes but I’m not sure if that’s the right thing to do in this particular situation.

the picture below is the best I could get of her foot (the one on the left) but it’s not representative of how she holds it when she’s standing. Her middle toe is more curled when she stands on her own!

please let me know what you think I should do!

Attachments

• 004A543C-B2A3-4CC6-8E41-AC89CADFB31C.png
    004A543C-B2A3-4CC6-8E41-AC89CADFB31C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
I can't see anything obvious in the picture, maybe a bit of swelling in that toe, but can't really tell. Below I will attach a manual that tells how to splint, shoe splints for feet/toes start on page 23. If you think it's broken then I would do that. Sometimes with small ones a peice of tape sticky side up and another over the top will hold the toes in place. A yogurt or other plastic food container lid cut to size also works well to keep things in place. I would also supplement with some B complex vitamins (human ones, regular not time release), 1/4 tablet once a day ground up and mixed in some moistened feed.
*EDIT* I forgot to attach the file, have done so now, see below.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I can't see anything obvious in the picture, maybe a bit of swelling in that toe, but can't really tell. Below I will attach a manual that tells how to splint, shoe splints for feet/toes start on page 23. If you think it's broken then I would do that. Sometimes with small ones a peice of tape sticky side up and another over the top will hold the toes in place. A yogurt or other plastic food container lid cut to size also works well to keep things in place. I would also supplement with some B complex vitamins (human ones, regular not time release), 1/4 tablet once a day ground up and mixed in some moistened feed.
Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely look into that manual and figure out the best option for this little girl. Again, I really appreciate your help : )

Back
Top Bottom