1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with its leg ripped off!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by surfkauai, Oct 18, 2009.

1. surfkauai

surfkauai New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    I went out to let the chicks out of the coop this morning, only to find blood and one little hen with only one leg! (The girls are about 4 weeks old, New Hampshire Reds.)
    There was a little pool of blood, and I found some feathers. I also found where the predator pried its way into the coop - all fixed, now.

The chick is eating and drinking, hobbling around on one leg. I found the open wound and poured some Betadine into the wound. (Believe it or not, the skin has moved around the opening and you can hardly find the place where the leg was severed!) She was snuggling up in my hands (it is a little cool down here for us Floridians - only about 70* today!) and napping quite a bit this afternoon as I was "fixing" the coop.

What else should I be doing for the chick? Anyone else have a one-legged hen do to a traumatic injury?

Sunny and one-legged in Florida.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I think you've done the right thing. Give it some vitamins in its water and separate it from the others. I don't know what its quality of life will be with one leg but it may make it.

3. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Oh the poor little baby....I cannot imagine how she would survive.

4. BBRedCigar

BBRedCigar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    She'll make it.

5. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    how will she compensate for that leg???

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'm unsure of that too... that's why I wondered about her quality of life...
    Maybe she'd be one of those "special" chickens who lives indoors.
    [​IMG]

7. surfkauai

surfkauai New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    Special as in short-bus special? Should I go to My Pet Chicken and get the chicken diapers?[​IMG]

I guess we'll just watch her really close for the next few days. I can't see putting her down just because she has one leg. If she survived the actually ripping-off-of-the-leg...then she just may make it!

I have her in the little coop (OK - it is actually a dog crate) with the two-week old Rhode Island Reds, when she is not being cradled in my hands. I don't want to hold her too much, as I am afraid that may add to her stress right now. But I don't want her to get chilled, either.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good luck & [​IMG]

Imp

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I am thinking that too.

10. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I've seen geese and other wild birds missing a foot/leg. You can follow her progress and make a decision from there regarding quality of life I would think...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by