chick with large abnormal growth

chickenarmy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
We have a three week old chick that seems to have developed a large abnormal growth over night.
The bulge is bigger than the bird's head and on its neck.
The lump is both solid and squishy. It feels like there is bone inside the bulge.
The chick has looked and acted normal until last night when it didn't return to the coup at night but was there with the other chicks this morning.
The chicks are housed with mama hen and 31 other hens and two roosters.
None of the other birds look ill or unusual in any way.
The chick smells cheesy and vinegary.
Looks like someone (probably mama has been pecking at the lump a little. Maybe that's why Cheep hid last night?)

Anyone ever had anything similar?
We are not taking Cheep to the vet so anything we do will be done at home:)

Thank-you. We've never heard of that as we are new to chickens and very new to chicks.

It looks more like impacted crop so we are looking for more experience and I'm searching the web as I type:)

thank-you!!

Hi I just read your post....was wondering if you ever found out what the growth was and if there was anything you could do to help it. We just got some chickens and 4 baby ducks.....all are also around 3 to 4 weeks old and ALL have the same thing happening to them! This morning nothen but tonight......I feel so bad for them! What can I do? The ducks are more pets and the girls are almost in tears.....please help if you can...
Thank you!

Amy

Hi I just read your post....was wondering if you ever found out what the growth was and if there was anything you could do to help it. We just got some chickens and 4 baby ducks.....all are also around 3 to 4 weeks old and ALL have the same thing happening to them! This morning nothen but tonight......I feel so bad for them! What can I do? The ducks are more pets and the girls are almost in tears.....please help if you can...
Thank you!

Amy
Amy- what you are seeing is their crop. They fill up with food during the day and empty during the night. Totally normal! If their crops are still full in the morning then you're dealing with an impacted crop. At the end of a good day of feeding some of my girls look like they have a tennis ball swinging from their chests
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom