Chick with leg issues....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsRubbler, Aug 22, 2016.

1. MrsRubbler

MrsRubbler Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    CNY
    So, yesterday when out in the coop, I noticed one of our 8 babies (2 1/2 weeks old) was walking a little funny and seemed to have trouble keeping up with mama & everyone else. Was doing more hopping than walking, but seemed energetic, so I didn't want to mess with him (plus mama is VERY protective).
    This morning I'm watering everyone and this poor chick has one leg laid out in front of it and one behind it and is stuck there, chirping weakly. The hen is flustered and is calling all her able bodied babies to her and is sort of pecking the injured one as she's running by. So I scooped up the baby and brought him inside and put him under a heat lamp. Honestly, he's looking a ton better now that he's warmed up. I think maybe he was weakened from not being able to get to the food and water as easy as the others and add on top of that, it's unseasonably chilly here today- the poor guy was cool to the touch when I picked him up. He's eating, drinking, pooping independently now with the feed and water close to where he is. When I first brought him in I offered a good amount of warm water in a syringe, which he took easily, as well as some crumbles from my hand.
    But- there's definitely something wrong with his legs. He has a hard time getting both underneath him at the same time and is definitely not strong enough to get up on his feet. His hip joints look good (from what very little I know and can tell). I'm iffy on the status of his knees and his toes are often curled up. I'll attach some pictures below.

Anyone have any idea what's going on or how I can help him improve? Thank you in advance!!

2. MrsRubbler

MrsRubbler Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    CNY
    [​IMG]

3. MrsRubbler

MrsRubbler Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    CNY
    [​IMG]

4. MrsRubbler

MrsRubbler Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    CNY
    That last pic is hard to see, but those are all his toes curled under him in a sitting position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by