Chick with leg issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeFree, Apr 4, 2018.

1. BeFree

BeFree In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    New Hampshre
    I have a Whiting True Blue that has some leg issues. They seem to be getting worse, one foot bends backwards, and she had been sort of working with the other leg, but now that one is often splayed out behind her.

I had tried putting her outside with her compatriots for a few days, but while she could get out of the coop, she wouldn't try to get back in it at night, so she is back inside. Now I am finding her on her back and crying.
    TrueBlue1.png TrueBlue2.png TrueBlue3.png TrueBlue4.png

Here are a few photos.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she had leg issues since she was a baby chick, or have they developed recently? How old is she? If she was born with them, it is most likely a leg bone deformity, such as varus valgus deformity or TD (tibial dyschondroplasia.) If they started recently, then I would suspect Mareks disease or a vitamin deficiency. I would give her chicken vitamins that contain B vitamins including riboflavin.

I would also Google chicken slings which are good for getting a lame chicken upright, and food /water can be set in front of them for ease in eating. If you should lose her, the best way to get a diagnosis would be to have your state vet do a necropsy on her refrigerated and preserved body. I can get info for you if needed.

3. BeFree

BeFree In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    New Hampshre
    She is about 9 weeks old, I got her from someone (NPIP registered) who buys in bulk and sells locally. She seemed fine when I got her, as she was running around like heck to avoid being taken away from her flock. Sometime after I brought her home this developed.

I am feeding her New Country Organics Grower No Corn/No Soy. With occasional treats of sprouted black oil sunflower seeks and sprouted wheat. She's just slow to eat them, everyone else gets the sunflower/wheat daily.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At her age Mareks can show symptoms. There is a good article that covers most information about Mareks that you can read called “The great big giant Mareks faq” that you can Google or go up to “search forums” to look for. Mareks can best be diagnosed with a necropsy when a vet can test feather shafts or tumor tissue after death. It might be good to do some research about state vets or poultry labs near you now, so you will know what to do. Google Metzer Farms—poultry diagnostic labs for a list of vets and labs.

5. BeFree

BeFree In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    New Hampshre
    So I decided to try soaking her legs in Epsom salts. When I was feeling them, one was far colder than the other. After soaking I noticed one does not bend forward the way the other one does. Here is a photo of her knee, is this fixable? I tried massaging it, and seeing if there was a tendon slip, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. TrueBlue5.png

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can’t tell much from your picture about her having a possible tendon issue or not. Can she stand up at all on one leg if you sit her up? The temperature difference is interesting. It still seems like it might be Mareks to me. I hope not, but I would think about a necropsy if you lose her. Chickens who cannot get around usually will starve , so she needs to be able to reach her food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: