1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with leg problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lenaj, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Lenaj

Lenaj New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Does anyone know why this could happen and what I can do to help it be normal?
    My chick was born perfect, but a few days later I noticed her legs started parting. She never walked. Her legs are growing to the sides and she skooches on her belly to get anywhere while flapping her wings. I can put her legs back in place like they should be, but they dont stay that way. as soon as I let go, they spring back to the sides.
    She is now 3 weeks old.

thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like she has splayed legs. Could you post a picture? If its splayed legs, you need to treat, or she will get worse. Here is some information on treating splayed legs in chicks: http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

3. Lenaj

Lenaj New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Yes! That white chicks legs look like my chicks legs.
    Thank you, I will try this. Do you think its too late if its been 3 weeks? One of the legs looks like the muscle is very tight already. I've been trying to massage her legs and also put them under her in a correct position and hold her for a while daily. But it doesnt help very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by