chick with leg problems/ happy update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyHall, Mar 19, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    it flips on its backs when it tries to walk. i have it in a cup with it's legs in a brace to help pull them under but the poor thing is smaller than the others i noticed . I've taken to helping it to drink but it is three days old and it c an't eat because it's legs make it hard to stand up strait.w hat else can i do to help it. any one know?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. cgoodloe

cgoodloe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Clovis
    Look up splayed legs and see if that's what your baby has. If so there are sites with info on how to fix it.

3. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:can it eat off the ground while lying down or out of your hand?

4. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:Can it eat while lying down or out of your hand?

5. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    he does and i already made the hobbles for him but he is still flipping on his back. should I just be patient and keep him in the cup so he can sit up strait? every once in a while he manages to get upside down in the cup and I have to rescue him.

6. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:can it eat off the ground while lying down or out of your hand?

I'm going to try again tomorrow morning but today when I hold him he gets too upset when I hold him to eat, he wants to do it himself! And when on the ground he keeps trying to walk and keeps flipping on his back. he refuses to simply lay on his chest and eat. he has to try and get up. he's a suborn little bird.

7. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    the hobbles have worked, i first put one small chick with it when it hadn't quite gotten the hang of the hobbles and left the room a few minute slater i heard a " cheep cheep cheep!" and raced in to find the hobbled chick on it's side with the other chick standing on it. the hobble chick's feet were peddling franticly trying to get up. It was funny and pathetic at the same time.

Now it is out of the hobbles and with the other chicks. It is eating and drinking and running around happily. Thank you so much for the advice! The little fuzz ball was only in that position because I let a very large rooster mate with a much smaller hen, and the poor thing hatched from an egg too smart for its big body, and I wanted to correct the problem I caused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by