Chick with leg problems- please help....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DancingWthDucks, Apr 5, 2016.

1. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi all,

I'm quite new to hatching and raising chicks- this is my second hatch of 5 cream Legbars (2 girls and 3 boys) all of whick are 8 days old. They are in a 4 by 2 foot brooder with a deep layer of dust extracted pine shavings and are currently on non medicated chick crumb.

One of the girl chicks has got a strange foot, which I think is clubbed so I have put a flipper/ shoe on it to hopefully straighten out. She also holds it out in front of her, not really bending her ankle and she doesn't seem to to have much control of her foot. She isn't really standing on it, just hopping. I've read something about vitamin deficiencies and slipped tendons. Is this the case?

Apart from this she seems to be growing well and she is bright eyed and chirpy. I don't want to cull unless absolutely nesscery.

Any input or views would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Anyone? :/

4. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

You may want to post in the emergency and injury thread for a faster response. Good luck with your little one

5. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Thanks

6. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you researched mineral/vitamin deficiencies? i know that it can be a concern...

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Have you tried giving a good riboflavin poultry vitamin? Sometimes deficiency can cause this

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    She's got some Apple Cider Vinegar in her water but I'm not sure which poultry vitamins are suitable for small chicks. I'm in the UK so I've only been able to find Verm-X and poultry spice at my local poultry supplies stores and the staff seem a bit clueless about what to give her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by