Chick with leg problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mattbhm, Aug 21, 2017.

1. mattbhm

mattbhm In the Brooder

May 27, 2017
    Hi again!
    Okay the same chick that had the dried egg goo stuck to it now seems to have leg problems. We noticed that it was holding its legs kind of splayed out. We have had a couple chicks that had splayed legs so we made him the same kind of band aid brace. It has been a few days and his legs are still the same. Is there anything else I can try?
    I also have another question. Out of our last two hatches we have had some chicks hatch with something like splayed legs. Their legs were stuck out in front of them and they could only flapped them helplessly in front of them. We put band aid braces on them and put them in little sock cups they get better within a couple of hours. I'm wondering if anyone might know why this keeps happening? We used the same incubator for both batches but the first time it was a still air incubator and for the second time we put a fan in there. IMG_20170821_221946157.jpg
    Thanks for any help or thoughts anyone has on either of these problems!
    Here is a picture of the chick with leg problems.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Possible Riboflavin deficiency, check out the website Poultry Podiatry. Where are you getting your hatching eggs? The parent stock could be lacking in the vitamin, passing on to the chicks. You can also use Vitamin B Complex, feed plain yogurt and foods high in riboflavin.
    I had a chick 1 out of 38 develop lameness at 3wks, turned out to be Curly Toe Paralysis due to the vitamin deficiency. Start it on Poly Visol without the iron a drop 3x day, added boiled egg yolk to it's feed, separated from the rest, made sure the flooring was non-skid, did daily exercising of the legs to keep it mobile...After 2wks he was walking.

mattbhm and Farmer Connie like this.
  3. Toothpick

Toothpick Songster

Aug 15, 2016
    TN
    I had one that had a limp. We named it limpy and simply left it alone. Slowly it started to have less of a limp and now it's full grown and laying eggs. Wasn't at all as bad as these chicks though.

mattbhm likes this.
  4. mattbhm

mattbhm In the Brooder

May 27, 2017
    Thanks for the instructions on that rubber band brace. It looks like it will work better and last longer than the band aid ones I've been making. Also this chick cries a lot. Would this be because he is in pain or just upset that he can't use his legs correctly?

The chicks that were effected came from three different breeds: Cochin, Polish, and Serama. They were also shipped from different places. But, just in case, would it hurt them if I gave them the vitamins even if that might not be the problem?

5. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Nope it wouldn't hurt

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. mattbhm

mattbhm In the Brooder

May 27, 2017
    It has had the rubber band brace for several days now. It can stand on its own now and get around a little bit, but one of its feet is turned outward at a 90 degree angle. Any idea what could have caused this, and if I can fix it?

7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    No idea what caused the foot to turn, did you not notice it earlier? IF it's walking ok, I'd leave it but if it's a problem maybe splint it?

8. mattbhm

mattbhm In the Brooder

May 27, 2017
    It was always slightly turned, but in the last two days it has gotten worse. He can get around ok but was doing better before his leg started twisting. How would I make a brace to straighten his leg?

9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Not sure, check out the website "Poultry Podiatry"
    Also try reposting your chicks problem in the "Emergency, Disease & Injury" forum, more will respond. @Wyorp Rock @aart @Ol Grey Mare

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: