1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chick with loose stools

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, May 29, 2010.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Songster 8 Years

Hi everyone, we are new to chicken raising and have six 6-week old chicks. They all appear very healthy - eating, drinking, pecking etc. One of the chicks has had loose stools for a few weeks but we're not sure which one ... can anyone give us some advice on what to do. Thanks in advance for your help [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Songster 8 Years

You are right that they look like the ceceal poo ... I was getting a bit worried that it might be cocci but had no idea what to look for. You put my mind at ease ... thanks for sending the link [​IMG]

4. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Songster

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    What a great link! I bookmarked it. Thank you~

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The link comes in handy as you can tell alot about a chickens health by their stools. [​IMG]

6. Lori S

Lori S In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    Jamestown Ohio
    That link is still helping folks. With my second batch of chicks this March, now going into the second week, I've seen a few pretty thin poops. I was concerned that these Rural King ordered Welsumers might have a problem, but the photos say otherwise. Thanks. It is kind of funny to carefully peruse photographs of bird droppings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: