HoneydewTears

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2022
One of the malnourished chicks I took in suddenly became ill. She has a lot of mucus in her mouth at times, which is clear, and it soaks her pillow when she sleeps. She sleeps a lot and can’t warm herself up so I’ve had her wrapped in a blanket. When I first brought her inside yesterday, she flapped her wings and turned her neck upside down a couple of times. She stopped doing this after I force fed her. After she would nod her head side to side. She hasn’t done any of this now. I’m not sure what’s wrong. Could it be a bacterial infection or parasites? She was eating and drink before and pooped well. Her poop is now watery because she isn’t eating. I’ve been force feeding her and she’s been a bit more responsive, but I’m not sure what else to give her besides mashed medicated chick feed. She’s really skinny and I’ve given the whole flock diatomaceous earth when they arrived for worms. I’m not sure what food or environment they were in before but it was definitely in bad condition since most were infested with mites. I’ve included a picture of her and you can see how malnourished she is. Maybe they were feeding her adult food instead of chick food and had a development issue? Is there anything to help her gain weight too? Please help!

Attachments

• FFE86E1B-1217-41C3-BB59-89E03D399840.jpeg
    FFE86E1B-1217-41C3-BB59-89E03D399840.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 21
What is your location?

How old is this chick?

Have you checked the skin for signs of lice?

If you are in the US, try to find some Poultry Nutri-drench and give it to the chick. You should also give it extra vitamin E with finely minced boiled egg or tofu. It sounds like it is deficient in both calories and vitamins.

What is your method of "force feeding"?

What is your location?

How old is this chick?

Have you checked the skin for signs of lice?

If you are in the US, try to find some Poultry Nutri-drench and give it to the chick. You should also give it extra vitamin E with finely minced boiled egg or tofu. It sounds like it is deficient in both calories and vitamins.

What is your method of "force feeding"?
TX, US
Not sure about age since they were surrendered but definitely younger than 16 weeks.
She has a bit but the spray I have doesn’t recommend to spray on sick birds. Is there something dry I could use instead?
Also, thank you! I just ordered some Nutri-drench and I’m using a syringe to feed her currently.

There is poultry dusting powder. You can get it anywhere they sell pet product or garden products. Be sure the only active ingredient is permethrin as it's non-toxic to poultry.

Try to get her to eat the egg or tofu on her own so she doesn't lose the connection between being hungry and wanting to eat.

Look inside her beak and see if the mucous is clogging her esophagus. If it is, you may need to use a bulb syringe and remove the mucous so she can swallow.

This may be a respiratory illness. Do you have Tylan 50 on hand? If not, ask at pet stores or feed stores. If you can't find it, order this. It's an antibiotic to treat respiratory illness that mixes into the drinking water. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=CE092E52-ED31-43DE-A5B8-D6B593962551

Back
Top Bottom