Chick With Low Wing Carriage

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AccentOnHakes, Mar 25, 2011.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It's very noticeable, and if I push the bottom feathers up with my fingers, they just fall right back down again. This chick is an EE, not a Serema or Sebright or anything like that. Is this a cause for worry? I got two EE's at the feed store, the other one's wings are just fine.

[​IMG]

She gets around fine, but they stay like that all the time! She can perch on something a little higher than her head, there's nothing taller than that in their brooder so I don't know how high she can go.

Should I worry about this?

2. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Keep an eye on her overall health...seems bunched up and wimpy? Otherwise don't worry and she'll hopefully grow into those big wings!

3. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Nah, she's one of the most active, peeps the MOST when I pick her up. I was taking my every-other-day individual picture records yesterday, and the only pic(s) I could get of her alone(I look them out one by one) were of her standing tall and yelling at me! She had her beak WIDE open.

Hope she grows into them soon, [​IMG] At least they don't drag on the ground; they're about an inch or so off the ground.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I wonder if it just looks weird because of premature feather growth? Those feather are big and she's so small

5. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:She is a bit smaller than the other EE we got. The other EE's wings look fine, all tucked in nice and neat. Maybe her feathers are just so heavy she has trouble keeping them up? Also, I don't think it's premature feather growth because she already has a little tail.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:She is a bit smaller than the other EE we got. The other EE's wings look fine, all tucked in nice and neat. Maybe her feathers are just so heavy she has trouble keeping them up? Also, I don't think it's premature feather growth because she already has a little tail.

Do you have a pic of the other ee to compare with? Btw she's super cute

7. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009

Do you have a pic of the other ee to compare with? Btw she's super cute

There's a post back here somewhere with a pictures of all four...I uploaded one picture of each.

Here's the other EE:
    [​IMG]

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Hmm that is very strange...

9. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    She seems very normal OTHER than her wings...here's hoping she just needs to grow into them! [​IMG]

10. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    If it were only one wing I would say possible leg injury but it's very strange that it is both wings AND she is acting happy and healthy. Hopefully she figures it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by