Chick with lumps of poo on her toes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jarrettfarm, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Jarrettfarm

Jarrettfarm New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi
    We are new to keeping chickens and we have a small flock of 4. they are about 2-3 weeks old now, but here is my issue...
    The smallest gal has gotten poop stuck to her talons. Big blobs of the stuff that have turned into hard cement lumps on the ends of her toes. I try to scrape up the soiled bedding every evening, and clean the brooder box out completely once a week, but I can't be on it 24/7, and she just must walk in it the most. The other 3 don't really have this problem.
    Is there any way to clean it off once its dried? I tried to pick a little off, but she just struggled too much and I did not want to hurt her, so I left it. Is this something I even need to be concerned about?
    any comments would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. peacock 05

peacock 05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    Ok so what you could do is put her in hot water not like steaming water just hot enough.just let it soak for a while and take her out and dry her off with like an old towel. If she is outside most of the time then make sure her feet don't freeze by making sure they are dry. I don't think you need to be concerned but if too much gets on her feet that could be bad!!! ;)

3. Feathers n Fur

Feathers n Fur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Hunterdon County NJ
    I went through this two weeks ago. I got 5 chicks from a farm and one had hardended crusted poop on her feet. Poor thing couldn't curl them to percho r anything. I took a cup of warm water and dipped her little feet in and periodically took them out and picked the poop off. It took a good half hour to coplete her little pedicure for both feet but well worth it. She was soooo happy that she curled her little toes around my fingers and just sat there for quite a while. It's been a while and no repeat process for any of them only now I think my little girl, Peaches, may be Peter! Oh, well, boy or girl they deserve to have poop free feet!

4. Jarrettfarm

Jarrettfarm New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    thanks for the input. I thought about that, but I was not sure if that was something I could do. but I suppose if I kept it really shallow and then dried her well afterwards, she would be ok. I have not let them outside at all yet....its still too cold here. I was thinking about letting them out to walk around a bit in the kitchen on the floor...would that hurt them?
    they have been flying at each other and when I look in the box, they look up at me and look like they want to fly out. I think they need a little change of scenery... would that be ok to do?

5. Jarrettfarm

Jarrettfarm New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    oh, wow...I agree..I think she would be so much happier without the lumpy toes! thanks for the advice. I will take of her today. [​IMG]

6. peacock 05

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    Yeah I'm sure it would be fine.i was afraid to let my peacock out but all he does is walk around fly sometimes and squak. Oh yeah and don't forget poop!!!! :p birds love to walk around in new places when you take them out the first time they will probably just sit there because well,it's new!!!!but if you keep taking them out they will get used to the scenery!!! Hope this helps your poor little chick!!! ;)

7. Jarrettfarm

Jarrettfarm New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi!
    Thanks for the great advice! It really did the trick. [​IMG]
    Chicky chick has clean toes and is walking around like a normal chicken, instead of dragging around those big lumps!
    She did not like getting her feet (and belly) wet, but we got her feet clean and her belly dry and then she was fine. I did end up letting the girls walk around the kitchen floor, but I think they
    were too scared or it was too cold because as soon as I sat down they started climbing all over me and by the time I was done with Chicky's feet, I had all four of them huddled in my lap. they took a short nap, then I put them back in their brooder to warm up and they all went to sleep! An adventurous day was had by all.
    Thanks again so much for the advice...truly appreciate it! [​IMG]

8. peacock 05

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    Yep any time!!! I might be new to this but I know my stuff!!!!!!! ;)

9. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 5 chickens who will be turning 2 this June. I do wash their feet as they do tend to step in poop. More so in the warmer weather, but now if I see poop stuck to their foot I dip their foot in warm water and wipe it off with a paper towel, and then dry it with another paper towel.

10. Jarrettfarm

Jarrettfarm New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks...everyone has been so helpful about this and just about everyone said the same thing...clean their feet with warm water. so far, its worked! I am so glad this forum is available! thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by