Chick with micro seizurs? "ticking" Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duckchick2011, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    My little chick is having what look like seizures of some kind. She keeps jerking her head to the side over and over again. She is standing and walking but the "ticks" seem to be bothering her balance. It's just little jerks, not big ones, like a muscle tick but over and over again.

I'm at a loss. Anybody have any clue what might be going on? She was fine just the other day. [​IMG] Eating fine and everything.

Her poop has been watery though, sometimes it firms up but for the most part it's watery...but a normal color.

Her eyes and nose are clear. She isn't sneezing or coughing. I'm pretty sure her weight is okay.

Man I'm freaked out, I hate seizure type things, to me it's like the herald of doom if my critters start seizing. [​IMG]

2. cool chick

cool chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    my rooster does that it may be normal I'm not sure

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try some poultry vitamins in the water, or some Poultry Nutri-drench orally 3 ml daily. She may have some wry neck symptoms. Vitamin E and selenium are good for that. Also here is the duck forum where you should also post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

4. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Why ducks? :hmm My chick is a chicken. ^.^

I will definitely look into the nutri-drench. Thank you. :)

She's not doing it any more. She ate, drank, and is acting like her normal self. For now I'll try the Nutri-drench(Would it be a TSC?) and keep and eye on her.

Thanks. I'd hate to lose this one, she's just a mix breed chick but she is very unique. ^.^

5. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I haven't been able to get the Nutri-drench. BUT should be able to get it today.

It isn't wry neck though, I know that much.

She was fine all morning but started seizing when I brought her inside after playing outside today. They were really bad and I can tell she
    is freaked out by them.

She seems to be eating and drinking fine from what I can see. She has a full crop. But her poop is still watery.

I don't think she has a fever. She is a little lethargic sometimes but for the most part is active and follows me around.

So, what cause's a chick to Seize, have watery droppings, a little lathargic, but otherwise fine?

6. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    CAN dehydration cause seizures in chickens? Knowing this may help clear up somethings for me.

I made her a little salt/sugar electrolyte mixture to hold her over. She seems a little better already. SO I'm guessing the Diarrhea is the
    problem? It's causing the dehydration which is causing the seizures maybe?

She was VERY thirsty when I first brought her home. Maybe she just needs to replace those electrolytes still. Which is why I need the nutri-drench. [​IMG]

Hopefully the mixture I made will help, it seems to be helping anyway. [​IMG]

7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    "Why ducks?" Have you checked your username recently? [​IMG]

It's true that sometimes we tend to take usernames a bit too literally and assume that they relate to the question being asked [​IMG] , but only because we're trying to help!

Without seeing the head movements it's hard to know, but could it also be a reaction to mites / lice? They can sometimes be so small they are hard to see, but if they are crawling over her head and face then it could account for her shaking her head to try and get rid of them. (Ear mites could also be a possibility).

8. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Your right [​IMG] I need to change my name to Birdgirl LOL

I wish it were that simple but it is definitely a fit of some kind. Yesterday it was just a tick today it started out as a tick and became an all out seizure. She jerks her head to one side, does it so much she ends up next to the wall of her box and just stands their jerking. Today, after ending up next to the wall she freaked out and started running all over Chirping really frantically and falling over.

Right now she seems fine. Eating good, drinking plenty, and following us around like a normal chick.

I'm a little baffled. She seems just fine then random frantic Seizure, then fine. [​IMG] I'm starting to wonder if she is just naturally prone to seizures(like a genetic thing).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  9. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
  10. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Wry neck seems likely. What kind of chick is it? (EDIT: Just read it's a mixed breed. Is it crested?) Certain breeds (specifically those with vaulted skulls such as Silkies) are much more prone to it than others. My Silkie had it as a chick and recovered after extensive care.

If it is not Wry Neck or mites/lice, it could be a vitamin deficiency. Nutri-drench is a must. Otherwise, some chicks just have problems from birth and can't be helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by