Chick with misplaced eyelids... How can I correct this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by XxPandaxX, Sep 24, 2012.

1. XxPandaxX

XxPandaxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Detroit
    While one of my birds was hatching, I had a humidity drop and it dried her fur into an odd position. I think it pulled her eyelids back, so now her eye sockets look like black holes... Maybe when she fluffs up it'll grow back into position? I'm not sure what to do, as these are my first birds ever. I've been applying warm water around the eye with a sponge to maybe help loosen the area a bit, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I really don't want to cull a bird that could live a happy life, so any suggestions ?

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    It may take a while as their head get's feathers last but I would give it a chance as long as it's not being picked at and acts normal. Keep moistening the eyes if it seems to help at all. If the others start picking on it seperate it from the others so they can still see each other to prevent problems later reintroducing it to the flock.

3. XxPandaxX

XxPandaxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Detroit
    Okay I will. There are only 2 chicks left sadly, the others passed away. I guess from lack of experience, these being my first birds and living in the city, but one of the 2 chicks has the same issue except in ONE eye. She always keeps it closed. I opened it and it was coated in something. That eye just isn't the vibrant, beady eyes of a chick. She also might be sick, she always sleeps (more than the other chick by far) and only walks around a bit every day, though she's only a day old. Her brother picks on her a bit since he can walk and she can't! Her breathing is off too, so I'm really expecting just one chick. I'll let her feather out though before any major decisions (culling, most likely) are made.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Are you giving them an area with the recomended temperature range? Should be about 95 degrees for the week olds but only in one area to warm up in. Drop that by 5 degrees per week old. Also the proper chick starter and plenty of fresh water should alsp be available to them. And keep their area clean, they do make a mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by