Chick with neck injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rides2far, Mar 7, 2015.

1. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    My chick shipment from Ideal went out on Tuesday at 4:01. They arrived today, Saturday. Out of 20, one was DOA, one is almost gone, & one had an injury to her neck, similar to wry neck. What can be done for her? We gave her H2O via syringe, but she can't straighten her neck at all. She falls over backward, & can't eat or drink on her own. I can't believe the rest of them made it & they are pretty perky, too. Eating & drinking like crazy. It's been over 2 hours since I picked them up & it just now got quiet. They are crapped out!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My goodness, that is ridiculous that they were in transit that long--almost 4 whole days? I would get some SaveAChick electrolytes or sugar water, and dip their beaks into the lukewarm water, as often as possible. Can chicks last 3 days without food or water, but even that is really too long. I would complain to the company and your post office if they are to blame. I prefer to order from a closeby hatchery, or get them at a feed store. Shipping stress can be pretty hard on them.

3. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    I've already done the electrolytes & probiotics. I am giving water via syringe to the 2 weaker chicks. I am very worried about chick with neck injury. Ideal says FedEx grounded their planes on Tuesday because of weather. Ideal had the majority of their Tuesday orders spend that long in transit. I'm lucky, my order was heading west, where it is warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by