chick with neck issues

Newbean

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
I have a chick who sustained what looks to be a neck injury while I was moving the group to a new coop.

These guys are 4 weeks old.

The chick cannot seem to fully lift its head. At first I thought it was having spasms and had somehow broken it's neck.

Now, after watching it for a few hours, It looks to be pretty functional. Just can't lift its head very far.

I removed it from the general population. It wasn't getting picked on (yet) but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be able to get adequate food and water.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

It lifts its head halfway and pecks at the ground a lot. Can't seem to look around much. Just at the ground.

Any advice?

I tried to make it a neck brace of sorts but it didn't like it one bit, and it didn't seem to help. The chick did better with it off.

I'm clueless.

And no, before I moved the chick, I saw no signs of illness in the group. so I'm fairly certain it isn't a disease or nervous system disorder.

Well, my 3 month old silkie did the same thing earlier this week. I was close to putting him down, but now he has made a full recovery.

Make sure that you are feeding them chick starter food with the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom