Chick with no eyes!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anne4596, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Anne4596

Anne4596 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    I have a 3-4 day old group of chicks being raised by a broody hen indoors due to the cold weather. One of the chicks hatched with no eyes! The poor thing has used up all of its yolk, and it isn't eating or drinking, just hiding under its momma. It gets weaker everyday, and I am desperate for any helpful information. Please help me![​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm sad about your chick with no sight as I know you are, but there is nothing you can do to fix it. This chick, even if you manage to help it survive, will forever be at a disadvantage, won't be able to find food on the ground, won't be able to compete with the other chickens, won't be able to spot danger before it hurts or kills.

The kindest thing you can do is to euthanize your little chick. PM me and I will tell you how to do it in a humane, non-violent manner.

2 people like this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. The kindest thing is the right thing here, so sorry. Mary

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Does it have no eyes or are the lids sealed shut with hatching gunk?
    Had that happen once with a chick, just had to clean them with warm water few times and they were fine.
    If no eyes, euthanize.

5. Anne4596

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    I don't think that I can bring myself to cull the poor thing. Are there any other options?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. TeeMom

TeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Kansas
    I don't know...there are plenty of animals that survive very contentedly without eyes. It probably wouldn't be a great candidate for free ranging, but if you have a safe, secure coop where food and water is placed in a constant, consistent place, I would think it could possibly thrive. You would also have to watch for picking by the rest of the flock. Have you tried ushering the chick to food and water. You may have to remove it from the hen and place it in a brooder pen with food and water easily accessible where you can watch it for feeding. If it won't willingly eat and drink on its own, it's quite likely that there are further, associated genetic problems internally that may prevent it from thriving. Good luck...

7. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al

I have a young blind chicken also. I have thought about culling it but I can't bring myself to do it either. My chickens are my babys. I can tell you that if you decide to keep it then it will get picked on by all the others if you put it in with them. All your other chickens will see it as a weak link. It will often have a hard time finding the water and feed but it will learn sound and hear the others eating and it will go towards it finding its way. Often times I have mine inside in my "chicken room" but he throws a fit to be outside with his family so ill put him back out. He often walks around in circles and basically mimics a drunk. All of this and I still keep him and for no good reason other then he is still succeeding at life. Just speaking from experience so you can decide on what is best for you.

8. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    X2, does it have no eyes or just sealed shut?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  9. Anne4596

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    Do you have any idea on how to get it to eat or drink?

10. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    I would dip it's beak in the water and see if it reacts and starts drinking and for food I would get something mushy instead of real chick food for now as it may be easier to eat for the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by