1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with No toes... cull or keep ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quailbuddy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hello along with my own flock of 6 i am raising, i and raising 15 chicks for a friend of mine until they are pullets around 16 weeks and then he is going to buy them back form me. He owns a feed/ farm supply store so he is then going to sell them to customers who want older chickens and not the hassle of the heat lamps etc with chicks....
    But my problem is that i was giving the 15 chicks ( 3 at a time ) some TLC when i noticed that one of my Light Brahms has no toenails and her toes are like little nubs less than a half an inch long.. so my first though was to return her from the store where we got her ( the same store my friend works at and hes the head of the " poultry area" but he would probably cull her. He isnt like the the mothering lovie dovie type about chickens.... she acts fine and seems fine. she is smaller than all the others though. I checked all the chicks and she is the only one like this. My secong thought was " Welcome to the Family " [​IMG] but if her toes are going to be an issue for the rest of her life i dont know what to do....
    Does anyone have any idea what i should do? should i leave her and sell her bacl to him or should i keep her as part of my pet chicken laying flock ?

Thank you
    ~ A

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    My rule is can they eat and drink on their own? And is this a trait that I would want to carry over into future generations? If they can't eat and drink on their own it's definitely time to cull. The second one isn't as important if you don't plan to breed.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote keep... and "welcome" little one to the family!

4. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Yes she can eat drink and walk fine... [​IMG]

5. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    mmaddie's mom :

I vote keep... and "welcome" little one to the family!

[​IMG] I would like to do that [​IMG] but one of my concerns is will it effect her roosting and scratching ( dirt ) abilities?​

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Personally, I would keep her. But then again I'm a sucker for critters who are missing body parts [​IMG] My advice would be to keep an eye on her, and as long as she is gaining weight/growing appropriately and is able to eat and drink normally and is not in any pain, then there is no need to cull her. You may have to separate her into a separate brooder with just a few buddies if the missing toes make it harder enough for her to get around that she isn't able to fend for herself at the feeder.

ETA Yes, it might affect her roosting and scratching abilities. However, it may not affect them so severely that she can't lead a relatively normal life. It's one of those things you'll just have to keep an eye on and cross that bridge when you get there. She may need a wider roost to perch on, but that's usually not a big deal. And while she may never be effective at scratching, it shouldn't really cause any problems with her ability to eat unless you free range your flock and expect them to find most of their own food during peak season (ie, late spring/summer, early fall).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. WYOwhy

WYOwhy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    I also vote: keep her as your pet chicken.

I just welcomed home my own little club footed chick, and she is planning to be very happy as a pet and keep me very happy as an "urban farm girl" for the rest of her days. Enjoy the uniqueness of mini-toes. And post some pics so we can enjoy it too. [​IMG]

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I would like to do that [​IMG] but one of my concerns is will it effect her roosting and scratching ( dirt ) abilities?

Yes, it will probably effect those things but not so much that it will be a problem. She'll find her own way.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:okay thank you for your suggestions [​IMG] She is able to walk around fine... I dont free range although they do ( or will when there older ) will get to sratch around outside of the run for fun so she should have no problems getting food...

** I have 3 barred weekolds who are in the brooder with my three 4 weekolds and she is about the same size... should I introduce her into my flock now and then when the time comes to then take her out of the flock? because personally i think its easier to introduce her NOW when i have chicks her size.... instead of intruduce her later when my flock is already established and has a pecking order... What do you guys think?

10. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:I will post some pictures later [​IMG] She is quite a cute lil thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by