1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick with open body cavity

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWhisper, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ChickenWhisper

ChickenWhisper New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    This is my first time hatching chicks at home with a broody hen, and the first chick to hatch is a cute lil' peeping one. Well, after it fluffed up and dried out for about 4-5 hours, I go into the coop to check on the chick and her mother. So, I pick up the chick and it is kinda weak, but is chirping contently. Then I notice a "string" of yolk with some veins in it sticking out of the body cavity. So my question is, is this natural??? Is the body cavity supposed to close before the chick hatches? Any advice as to how to solve the problem? Please answer quickly!

2. twilite

twilite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    I've had some hatch like that and make it ok. In a few days it was pretty much all healed up. Others died. It depends on how much is exposed, how bad it is. I don't think there is much you can do but to keep the chick warm and hope for the best.

3. ChickenWhisper

ChickenWhisper New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok. Thank you! The hole is about as big as the vent (I hope you know what that is). Have you had more live or die with this problem?

4. twilite

Feb 26, 2012
    I've had 3 that I remember. One was pretty bad, could see a lot of the yolk protruding out; he died. The other two lived - looked more like what you are describing.

5. ChickenWhisper

ChickenWhisper New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Thank you so much! I have a lot of sisters and I only told two of them about this...I didn't want to make any of them sad! I've got a lot more hope now. Thanks again so much!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. twilite

Feb 26, 2012
    Hoping and praying a little too; in a few days the chick will be just fine.

7. ChickenWhisper

ChickenWhisper New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Thank you. Sadly, I checked up on her this morning and she was dead. Thank you for your help though! My sisters named her
    "Mohtattie". Well, now I have to wait for the rest to hatch!

8. twilite

Feb 26, 2012
    Aww so sorry.. hopefully the others are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by