chick with paralyized leg walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brahmamamamak, Aug 2, 2010.

1. brahmamamamak

brahmamamamak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    On July 6th I noticed that one of my 8 week old Blue Cochin chicks had a limp. I had been in the process of introducing them to my 10 week old Light Brahmas and assumed that she had some how injured the leg and I kept her and her flock mates separated from the bigger chicks.

To my horror she got worse each day to the point of having no apparent feeling in her left leg. When she tried to move it was as though the leg was stuck to the ground.

My daughter is a DVM working on her PHD in Pathology, examined her and confirmed no feeling in the leg. Of course the only way to find out what was actually wrong would be as far as I am concerned the unthinkable.

I decided to keep her with her flock mates and as long as she ate and drank I would wait and see. I did give antibiotic for 5 days and still giving vitamins in the water.

I noticed about 4 days ago she was on her good leg and shaking the left leg (almost like you do when your foot is asleep) then walked a few steps. After witnessing her do this a few times that day I picked her up and put my finger under her foot and to my amazment, she tighted her foot around my finger!

She is walking better and stronger with each passing day. Actually standing on the left leg in order to scratch her head with the right.

I wanted to post this ...... I hope it helps ...... I guess when your chickens are your pets you are more willing to wait and see, and sometimes it does pay off.[​IMG]

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for posting this! With all the problems we see posted, it's always nice to hear a success story!

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Good news! It certainly does sound like it might have been muscular dystrophy due to vitamin deficiency. Three weeks does seem to the the average amount of time it takes to see improvement with vitamin therapy, too, so it looks very promising that your girl has a chance for full recovery. I'd be interested to know what you are using for vitamins and the dosage. Also, what antibiotic did you give?

Thanks for sharing. It's how we all learn.

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Quote:Also curious! I had this happen once too, we ended up putting her down since no one knew what was wrong.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wouldn't be suprised if they get a little blood clot now and then that blocks some of the blood flow to the leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by