Chick with Parrot beak

Juanita Smith

Hatching
Oct 29, 2015
I have a 6 week old chick ( Easter Egger) who has grown a parrot beak. Top beak curves down over lower. I have trimmed it a little, it bleed some. A few days later , she still has difficulty grasping onto the crumbles. I am making a liquid mesh out of electrolytes and wet crumbles and feeding her a little with a dropper now and then. I know beak needs to be trimmed more. Can I do a little at a time as she grows, till I get it closer to the lower beak? She also developed a little sack like pouch directly under lower beak, something none of my chicks have. I have her separate from others as she had hard time competing for food. She seems healthy every other way, feathers looks good , very active scratching. Any suggestions how I can help her?
Thanks.

You can provide moistened feed for her in a deep dish. It appears as if this condition is not uncommon in EE as many have posted about the same defect. Gradually trimming the beak back to the quick may help, but it will be a lifetime condition with her.

I have a 6 week old chick ( Easter Egger) who has grown a parrot beak. Top beak curves down over lower. I have trimmed it a little, it bleed some. A few days later , she still has difficulty grasping onto the crumbles. I am making a liquid mesh out of electrolytes and wet crumbles and feeding her a little with a dropper now and then. I know beak needs to be trimmed more. Can I do a little at a time as she grows, till I get it closer to the lower beak? She also developed a little sack like pouch directly under lower beak, something none of my chicks have. I have her separate from others as she had hard time competing for food. She seems healthy every other way, feathers looks good , very active scratching. Any suggestions how I can help her?
Thanks.
Did you ever find put what this was? As I have a chick with the same thing!

Are you asking about a sac-like pouch growth under your chick's beak, or parrot-beak? I looked at your thread with photo of cross-beaked baby chick. (Crossbeak is different than parrot-beak.) Your chick's crossbeak does look severe, especially since cross-beak gets worse as a chick grows. If u start start a new thread, post current photo, & state your concerns, hopefully u will get helpful input. At the least your chick will need wet mash fed in a shallow open container to ensure it gets enough to eat. At worst it will soon become malnourished, stop growing and die. You could post in emergencies and disease forum too. Im sorry u havent yet gotten answers to your questions.

Are you asking about a sac-like pouch growth under your chick's beak, or parrot-beak? I looked at your thread with photo of cross-beaked baby chick. (Crossbeak is different than parrot-beak.) Your chick's crossbeak does look severe, especially since cross-beak gets worse as a chick grows. If u start start a new thread, post current photo, & state your concerns, hopefully u will get helpful input. At the least your chick will need wet mash fed in a shallow open container to ensure it gets enough to eat. At worst it will soon become malnourished, stop growing and die. You could post in emergencies and disease forum too. Im sorry u havent yet gotten answers to your questions.
Hey this is my thread on parrot beak https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nd-swelling-what-is-it.1486549/#post-24780520

Back
Top Bottom