Chick with partially unabsorbed yolk sac?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    It was the last one hatched (buff orpington) and I had to help it out of the shell as it had dried up... After it got out I noticed that it still had a little bump by its vent. It seems pretty weak but I have left it in the incubator to give it a chance to try and rest and not be picked on by everyone else. I gave it some water last night and it seemed to swallow. Is there any point in trying to save this little one? Can this resolve or is it going to just suffer and then die? I thought of putting it under the heat lamp in a box with water and food and see if it can improve.... anyone else dealt with this. Do you have any pics so I can see what your chick looked like too? Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Give it 24 hours in a warm dry place to sleep and rest. It is very hard work hatching and even more stressful if it dried out and got stuck. After 24 hours offer it some water. It should be able by then to get its feet under it and move around without flopping.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I had the same issue here last week. A tiny chick with a weird shaped head and a partially yolk sack.It was so weak that the head was just hanging down like it was dead. But when i poked it a bit it showed life. I gave it some water the next morning it was moving its head , inthe afternoon it fully lifted it up. The day after this it walked. It is still the tiniest, has bad coordination and a microcephalus(the lump on the head might be brain matter from a skull opening)i dont know if it will survive to adulthood, but it eats, drinks, poops and peeps. Good luck with your little trouble maker
    BTW i named our runt "Dum-dum chicken"

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had that happen with a call duck duckling. Take a ziplock sandwich bag and put the bottom half of the chicks body in there. Zip it up, but not to tight. then raise the humidity to keep the yolk soft. I had a call duck baby that had none of the yolk absorbed. I had it like that for 3 days, and it was fine, It grew up to be a normal duck..GOOD LUCK

5. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Well, thanks for the input guys. The little one is looking better this morning. I have noticed that the ones that had a bit of a struggle hatching didn't dry out all fluffy. THey have areas where their feathers are kind of stuck together and look like I greased them down. Will that resolve in time or should I give them a little wipe down ? Should I keep the weak one with the yolk sac in the incubator or should I put it in a box in the brooder? I am guessing it might do better in the more stable and humid environment of the incubator for a while, but then how do I give it water without it flopping into it and spilling it? I can't be there every hour or so to give it a drink? Any ideas?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They will fluff out in another day or two. Congrats on your hatch. [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd leave him in the incubator for awhile longer...he really doesn't need the water since he is absorbing his yolk sac but when you do take him out try giving him alittle electrolytes & vits if you have them for a boost acouple times in his water...and if the others go to pecking at him I always make a small shoebox and stick it in the brooder for a weak chick but he can hear the others...I put a feather duster in to help it think its anothers feathers...

They will fluff out you just have to give them a day or two under the brooder light...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by