Chick with pneumonia

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmeRoach, Jan 16, 2019.

1. FarmeRoach

FarmeRoach In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    Hello,
    I have posted before when I first got my chick just over a month ago. All but one had swollen eyes and were lethargic, it was suspected that they had a respiratory diesease. I treated them by isolating them, keeping them warm and with a single injection of tylan 50, about .20. All improved and are doing great. Well, all except my Easter egger. Her eye inflammation went down, her appetite came back, she was no longer lethargic. But a few days later, I posted another thread with a video because she was having difficultity breathing. No responses came. I checked her beak and she had dried nasal discharge on both nostrils. I assumed this was the issue, so I cleaned her up and have checked for dried discharged every morning and night since (I suppose it has been about 2-3 weeks). I found no dried discharge but she usually had a lot of snot. Causing her to breathe with her beak open. It hasn't gotten any better and today it seems to be worse. No discharge whatsoever, but she is breathing with beak open, seems to be labored (her body moves much more as she breathes than the others) and about every minute she kind of squeals? It sounds like she has some liquid or snot deeper than her throat.. my first thought was maybe pneumonia? Any ideas? Here is a video link

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Hoping for some responses and fast recovery of your little girl. :hugs

casportpony and FarmeRoach like this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Do you have a scale you can weigh her on? If so, weigh her and try giving her Tylan 50 at 0.05 ml per 100 grams orally 3 or 4 times a day. If that doesn't work you could try Baytril, but you would have to order that.

Wyorp Rock and sylviethecochin like this.
  5. FarmeRoach

Dec 18, 2018
    You all are so kind, thank you so much for the help. Her name is Pluto. She weighs 290 grams. How many days should I give her the oral treatment of tylan 50 before trying baytril? Where is it possible to order it from?

6. casportpony

7. FarmeRoach

Dec 18, 2018
    I won't be able to order it friday.. But i do have tylan on hand. I will treat with that until I receive it. What are some other medicines you keep on hand? My first flock of chickens had no problems whatsoever, but we're killed by the neighbors dog. This batch has been a lot of sleepless nights and worrying, but all 6 have lived! Anyways, I would like to have the basics in hand in case of an emergency. Ideas?

8. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    Can you look down her beak? The way she breaths makes me wonder if she has a blockage. The squeak sound reminds me of a balloon when you stretch the opening and let air out through a thin line. Again, makes me wonder about blockage.

Wyorp Rock and casportpony like this.
  9. casportpony

Good advice!

10. casportpony

Let me think about some items to suggest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: