Chick with Poopy bum......Advice please.........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ponygal12, May 20, 2010.

1. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone! This is my first time raising chicks and I have some questions. My about 2 day old New Hampshire Red has poo in her vent area. I wiped it early but now there's more. Is this normal? What can I do to help? I will take a picture if neccesary. Any advice is greatly appreciated....thanks!

2. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    I think I read on here about people rubbing the area with olive oil or the like... Hopefully someone will know for sure. Good luck!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Hello this stage your baby is going through is quite comman! Now this will seem weird but its called pastey butt Thats when the chicks growing and her tummy goes wacky!!! The runny poo gets on the fluff and can block the vent preventing the chick from releaving herself this part can be deadly! Now the fluff is the problem here so when i get chicks i tear some of the fluff of in your case take hold of the dried poop and pull it off it the point to get the fluff! Now she'll squack and it may bleed a tad but she'll thank you some day!

4. ponygal12

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    So it is normal.....phew..my chick had be worried therer. I'll keep cleaning it and tear off some fluff. Thanks!

5. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    My chicks had pastey butt for close to a week after they were born! Just check them daily. It helps if you soak the crusted area with warm water before you try to remove it. I would be careful with tearing it off because I read on here about a few people ripping the vent area- then that could get infected. I would dunk their little butts in warm water, wipe them clean, trim the hair carefully with tiny scissors and then make sure to dry them really well so they don't get chilled. My chicks hated their daily "butt inspection" time!

6. ponygal12

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    So I tore off and trimmed some fluff. She hates it to when I inspect her bum! Any advice to make all the chicks more friendly? They are kinda skittish now........

7. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keep picking them up and talk to them from time to time. Mine were skittish at first too, but they really seem to enjoy human company now. Like any animal, (or person for that matter!) some chickens will be more friendly than others. Have fun!

8. Providence Too

Providence Too Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Mantua, Ohio
    I always use a tad of vaseline. Make sure you clear off old poo with baby wipes!

9. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    After the traumatic "butt inspection" phase, I was able to get my chicks to like me again. I would just sit by their brooder box with my arm in there, talking softly to them until they got used to my hand and voice. Just persist, and once they are old enough and havve some grit, bribery with treats helps [​IMG]

I think once they realize that you aren't going to hurt them every time you handle them they come around. My girls are total lap chickens now.

10. ponygal12

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Alright, I plan on spending most of the rest of this afternoon with them. One more question. When can I take the paper towels out? Tomorrow maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by