chick with poopy butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by biggie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. biggie

biggie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    well title says it all i got a chick with a nasty butt. tried to wipe with a warm wet rag but it won't come off. and he seems to be in pain when he poo's . any one run into this and how can i get it off? Thanks

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    try running warm water over its rear end and wipe it. it wont be happy but it may help

3. biggie

Feb 24, 2012
    see i was gonna do that but i didn't know if it would hurt them being so young. (about a week old )

4. big mami

big mami Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You could look up "pasty butt" on this forum - it's fairly common but short lived. I have dealt with it on the majority of my 40 chicks! I wound up taking a small bucket of warm water to them and for the worst cases I soaked their bums in the water while working the dried poop with my fingers. Not fun, but it gets the job done. Then I'd wipe with a wet rag and dry with a dry rag. I have read that pasty butt lasts about a week and my experience (thankfully) is that it's been shorter than that. Best of luck!

5. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    running a week old chicks bum in water should be fine, i did it to a 2 day old and it didnt complain or get hurt

6. peep peep

peep peep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Georgia
    If it's not too crusted on there, you can even take a cup of warm (not hot, not cold :) ) water and a Q-tip and rub it off their vents. [​IMG] Pasty butt is gross!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    We had this issue the first week or so. We put just their bum under warm (not hot) water and just used a Q-tip to help loosen it a bit. It took a few minutes usually. That stuff is hard! After that, I dried them and put just a tiny bit of veg oil around the vent with a Q-tip. That kept the poo off for quite a while.

8. biggie

Feb 24, 2012
    just took him to the sink and ran warm water over his bum and used a paper towel to rub it a little came right off. i think he went to sleep. lol. he liked it. lol
    thanks folks. i haven't done this since i was a really young kid and don't remember nothing. lol

9. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I am so thankful for this place. I had never had any chicken experience and pasty butt was beyond my scope of understanding. Until I came here.

I had 2 of my chicks with nasty pasty butt.It was crusty and hard to get off.

I cleaned them 2 - 3 x a day so it wouldn't build up.

They are 2 1/2 weeks old now and we no longer have this problem.

My husband's comment while watching me clean them up: I am SO GLAD you are doing this, and not me. [​IMG] lol.

It goes away soon enough.

10. biggie

Feb 24, 2012
    lol i would normaly not do something like this but i did it and survived so i'm sure i will doing it again soon. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by