chick with portruding vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattgal, Dec 4, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My last egg to hatch has a portruding vent (sp)
    Ive seen threads on how to treat it but I can't find any at the moment

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Probably under prolapse, usually an egg layer's problem, but happens in chicks, too.

Warm bath on the back end, Preparation H, quiet darkened place to encourage rest. Some use honey on the area. Yogurt or other probiotic to improve stool consistency, along with plenty of fluids -- I'd fix it feed moistened with yogurt as its sole diet for a few days, myself.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    could you post a pic? Are you sure it is it's vent and not unabsorbed yolk or an intestinal issue?

4. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:I stuck him back under the momma, I put blue food coloring on it so She wouldn't pick at it, so I'm not sure It would show anything

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, a broody's chick! I would have done the same thing you did.

Good luck!

6. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i had this happen in a hatch last spring...a pretty little EE roo. i followed all the instructions and he never really fully recovered. he is thriving BUT constantly has a poop covered bottom that is just so terribly gross. i hand raised him due to his issues and i hate to cull him but it is just not something i can live with and i certainly don't want him to mate and pass that on. just my experience--your mileage may vary. i wish i had not gotten so attached.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I was trying to resist posting. But once I saw your sig line I decided to take a chance.

I'd cull the chick if it is a prolapsed vent or intestines. If it's unabsorbed yolk, just give it time to absorb and it should be fine.

Best of luck to you and the chick. [​IMG]

8. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:I guess I should've left him in the shell then. I had to help him out a little. not because he was weak but because on day 20 the eggs got disturbed by a curious hen while the broody was off the nest and cracked a hole in the egg. I wasn't sure he would make it but he did. the membrane dried out and was keeping him from hatching after 24 hours I decided to let him out
    and that is where the prolapsed vent comes from. I don't know if it is related to the dried up membrane or not.

I'm gonna have to wash him anyway since his feathers didn't dry properly. So I'm gonna try applying honey while I'm at it, or some ointment (Would that be a good substitute for Prep. H?)

9. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:[​IMG] I like you already
    how do you tell the difference between prolapsed vent and unabsorbed yolk....or is it just a matter of time?
    worst case scenario he would still make an excellent dish

10. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    Quote:I guess I should've left him in the shell then. I had to help him out a little. not because he was weak but because on day 20 the eggs got disturbed by a curious hen while the broody was off the nest and cracked a hole in the egg. I wasn't sure he would make it but he did. the membrane dried out and was keeping him from hatching after 24 hours I decided to let him out
    and that is where the prolapsed vent comes from. I don't know if it is related to the dried up membrane or not.

I'm gonna have to wash him anyway since his feathers didn't dry properly. So I'm gonna try applying honey while I'm at it, or some ointment (Would that be a good substitute for Prep. H?)

had to help mine out too. [​IMG] and he was totally sticky like you say...had to wash and blow dry, etc...lesson learned. first and last time i do that. you see him out in the yard now and he is so pretty and sharp looking (he's rumpless, so unusual too) and then when he turns around his rear is constantly covered in poo...don't mean to be gross but it is just AWFUL. at this point i am just letting him get some more weight on him. gonna have to clean him up REALLY good before we eat him. i guess a major soak before butchering. ugh. if it doesn't get better with your attempts at helping/fixing, let it go. my bird's vent just never did get it's pucker back so to speak...always slightly open. you can imagine how bad that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by