Chick with possible cocci declining in health?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanBarnCat, Aug 1, 2017.

1. UrbanBarnCat

UrbanBarnCat In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2017
    so I recently bought 2 adorable Rhode Island reds last week from a hatchery. One of the unfortunetly died last week and now the other one seems to be declining in health. She has a small eye infection that I've been putting vetrx in. I'm putting probiotics and electrolytes in her water and feeding her chick feed with amprollium. Should I start her on full strength Corid tonight?
    She also recently lost a patch of feathers on one of her wings and I am just very worried she isn't going to make it..

Attached Files:

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

I am so sorry but Corid is not going to help this chicken, she looks very ill.
    Is taking her to a vet an option?

Corid only treats Cocci.
    She looks like she may have an infection that would need antibiotics not vertex or Corid.

UrbanBarnCat likes this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I'm thinking it might be Favus which is a fungal infection.

UrbanBarnCat and KikisGirls like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

I've not come across this one yet.
    How would one treat for Favus?

UrbanBarnCat likes this.
  5. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Apparently it is the chicken form of ringworm and can rarely pass to humans. It can be treated with any medication suitable for thrush/yeast/fungal infecions.... athletes foot cream or canesten or metronidazole. I haven't encountered it myself so far, so I am just going off the bit of research I have done and things I have come across whilst reading other posts. Apparently sunshine can be very beneficial to clearing it up.

KikisGirls and UrbanBarnCat like this.
  6. UrbanBarnCat

Jul 27, 2017
    I'm at the vet with her right now. Crossing my fingers they can treat her and it's nothing fatal!

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Good luck and please keep us posted of the results, so that hopefully we can all add to our knowledge.

chicken-device and UrbanBarnCat like this.
  8. UrbanBarnCat

Jul 27, 2017
    Just got back from the vet. She has pretty severe coccidiosis. They put her on and antibiotic, an anti inflammatory and pain med, and ointment for her eye. The vet seemed pretty positive that she could make a recovery. We will be taking her back next week after 7 days of antibiotics to see how she's doing. We already did the first round of everything and I'm hoping the antibiotics help. Wish us luck. Will keep everyone posted on our recovery journey! :thumbsup

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Thanks for the update and keeping my fingers crossed for her. Please keep us posted on her progress.

UrbanBarnCat likes this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Thanks for the update!
    What meds did the vet give you?
    Names/doses

UrbanBarnCat likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: