1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick with problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelly, Oct 25, 2007.

1. kelly

kelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    My chick is about 3 weeks old. When it is trying to poop it chirps and acts like its having a hard time. I can't see for sure (its so fisty) but its butt maybe swelled. Any ideas. Thanks so much. By the way it is pooping just seems to be having a hard time.

Kelly

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The chick may have some internal problems causing the swelling and painful elimination. You need to pick it up and examine it.

It is also not too old to have pasty butt. If the bird has a partial obstruction because of dried poo that also could be causing the problem.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's not pasty, some olive oil in it's diet may help out a bit. Are you sure it is getting enough water to drink?

4. kelly

kelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I put its butt under warm water today and cleaned it good. I'm hoping this will do it. It has 2 waterers in there and knows where they are and uses them. If it seems to have anymore problems I'll try olive oil. Thanks for the help, sorry to be such a pain.

Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by