Chick with protruding vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoManyHats, Nov 23, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    That's the only way I can think to describe it. She's 1 week old, and I'd been keeping an eye on her for mild pasty butt. But overnight it got really stuck and crusty, and when I washed her this morning, I noticed her vent seems to be sticking out. It's raw on the end, which I guess is to be expected from the irritation. What about it sticking out?

What do I do now for her?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. EggresiveAli

EggresiveAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    Scotland
    Give her a warm bath and apply Vaseline to the effected area and gently push it back in

3. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Yikes! :eek:
    Won't I hurt her? I don't know if I have Vaseline. Any substitutes for that?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Take a little honey and push it back in gently. If you don't it may stay out, and this will be pecked and pecked, and the chick may die. The tissue can also die if not pushed back in. It may come out again, so keep an eye on it. Honey will help reduce the swelling as well as act as a lubricant.

5. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I did find some Vaseline, so I used that. It wasn't going back in at first, but as I pushed she pooped, so I guess she had been trying. After that it went back in mostly. I'm worried because I had to leave her all day with 15 other chicks. Honey is a good idea- I even have raw- I'll try that next time. Now the long anxious 10 hours before I can get home to check on her. :(

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    How is your baby now? Please update us when you can. Hope she's doing well!

7. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I still haven't been home to check on her. All day I've been thinking I should have brought her with me. :(

8. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Well, she was crusted over and protruding again when I got home, and the other chicks were pecking at her. Right now I have her isolated and I'm checking on her frequently. So my big question is whether this will heal and, if so, will it make her more susceptible to vent prolapse when she starts laying?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I decided I need to cull her. It isn't getting any better, and is out again within seconds after I push it back. This is going to be super hard - she's the first chick I ever hatched. :hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by