Chick with red protrusion near rear end? -nasty pic-

CBee

Songster
11 Years
May 11, 2008
Asheville, NC
My 5 day old RIR chick (male) just got this poopy butt, like just within the past day. I went to clean it just a few minutes ago and found this weird red bump, almost looking like a little tumor. I tried cleaning the poop around it with warm water but the bump started to bleed, so I left it alone. He eats and drinks regularly, but since I have 20 other chicks at the moment, I haven't been able to look at him specifically. His stool that I cleaned looked normal, but maybe if it was sticking to his butt it wasn't...?

Their bedding is just paper towels for now, as they were eating the pine shavings I had in this afternoon. They eat medicated starter food and drink regular water, although yesterday I had they on some vitamin water.

Can I point antibiotic ointment on it, or not? I just had two chicks die today. One a little runt and another BR by a mysterious death. (Could it have been the pine shavings?) I really don't want any more to die, so any help will be appreciated.

nasty.jpg

That's the "navel" - don't pick at it and hopefully it will dry up and fall off. Since it's now bleeding, you can put a little iodine on it to help it dry. Sometimes their navel is not fully absorbed and is a big red bulb and sometimes it can barely be seen.

agreed....thats all you can do is seperate it and see what happens....hopefully it just dries out dont mess with it though, it will run its course

Well that's interesting.. I'm glad to know that. I had no idea chickens had "navels"..

Quote:
Yep, it's where they are attached to the yolk via umblical cord just like a human baby. Sometimes when they hatch it doesn't all get absorbed right away and leaves a red bulb and sometimes it's just a small scab looking thing but it's ALWAYS there. You normally don't have to do anything to it but if it's red or bleeding the other chicks will peck at it so the one with it needs to be separated till it dries up - iodine can help with that.

Back
Top Bottom