Chick with red toes is not acting like the rest... She is gone :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JustChicky, Jan 25, 2009.

1. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte chick that is about 4 days old. Well today and yesterday I noticed she just lays and sleeps. I make her drink water but she only ate one crumble of food. She wants to nuzzle on everything. The only thing different about her is that she is a little smaller and she has red toes on her left foot, only down by the nails. I have her inside right now, because all of the other chicks keep running all over her. Last night I had a problem with getting a different SLW chick to eat, but today she is running and eating like crazy.

Should I just put her back in the brooder? Or keep her inside for now? She is by herself on a heating pad and isn't whining or anything, just sleeping. Like I said, she just seems to want to nuzzle. She wasn't afraid of the cat, she just walked right under her and layed down under the cat like it was a hen [​IMG].

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  2. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    hi! sounds like she is sick. if she won't eat then she will just get weaker. There is probably somehthing wrong with her internaly so dont feel bad if she doesnt make it. Keeping her inside and on the heating pad is great and it should help her get better. try putting a teaspoon of sugar in her water to give her some energy to eat. Make sure she knows where her water is. From that point on all you can do is wait and hope. good luck

3. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Thank you. I just made the mistake of trying to put her back in the brooder because I didn't want her to be lonely, and one of the other chicks grabbed her by the leg and started dragging her around. I almost cried. So she is back inside, on the heating pad, by herself. I will go put some sugar in her water. I also have vitamin/electrolyte/mineral powder.

By the way, the other chicks noticed her toes, some of them kept pecking at them.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a little guy like that too (same age). I just don't know if he's going to make it. [​IMG] He sleeps a lot and won't eat much. The only thing I can get him to eat much of is hard-boiled egg yolk.

5. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Can I offer her a boiled egg yolk?

I am afraid she is going to die:(.

6. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Quote:I am going to try this. Thanks! I hope your little one gets better.

7. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I made her eat. I gave her a piece of the egg yolk and 4 crumbles. She is trying to eat on her own but she is weak.

8. JustChicky

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    She is gone. [​IMG]

I was just looking her over and she has something coming out of her belly button (like a hernia) I was petting her belly before and never noticed it. I hope I didn't hurt her by force feeding her. Does anyone know what it might be? I can take a pic if you want, but I would prefer not to since she has passed.

The rest of the chicks are fine, they are bouncing all over the brooder and then all of then sudden fast asleep.

9. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    AW, I am sorry she didn't make it. Sometimes they just have things wrong internally and they don't make it. You made her comfortable and loved her while she was here. That realy was all you could do.

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that [​IMG] [​IMG] I think she had internal problems that you couldn't do anything about...you did your best to keep her comfortable. I hope all your other babies are doing well...and now you can focus on them and enjoy them.

My little gimpy guy is still hanging in there, for now. He had pasty butt real bad this morning and I had to work for a while to get him all cleaned off. I feed him egg yolk and vitamins, and try to get him to eat crumbles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by