Chick with runny poo

Kasey

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Waco, TX
I have six 1 week old chicks in the brooder right now and the past couple of days we have been finding lots of jelly looking poo in the brooder. They all seem to be in good spirits and all seem to be eating and drinking. Should I be worried?

Yesterday when I came home from work I found 3-4 spots of this poo and watched them all evening and never saw anyone make any like this. My hubby checked on them at noon and says there was more in the pen again but everyone seemed ok.

I'm new at this so I'm not really sure what normal and not normal.

Could I maybe be keeping the pen too hot? Under the light it has been at 95-100 but away from the light it goes down to 80ish they are in an outdoor metal shop with concrete floors. I have the brooder set up on a tarp with pine shavings and a the pen set on that.

Well, chicks do make several different kinds of poops.
smile.png
Gross topic, I know. Some of them are formed and some are just more of a watery, brown, stinky variety.

How are the chicks behaving? Are they all active, eating, drinking, running around etc.? What you want to watch for is if any of them start just standing around or off in a corner, sleepy all the time, puffed or hunched up, not wanting to eat or drink. If you start seeing that you want to treat for coccidiosis.

Do they have room in the brooder to get away from the heat lamp if they want to? At a week old I'd be shooting for about 90 degree's under the lamp and making sure they can move away when they want. They should be pretty much evenly scattered about except when they nap, they usually like to snuggle up under the lamp.

Back
Top Bottom