Chick with rusty red poo-now she's dead...cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, May 16, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    1 of my Javas had rusty red poo yesterday and this morning it died. I have 2 other Javas from the feed store as well and 3 from hatched-eggs also from the feed store. Am I right that its cocci...parasite? The java was less active wings spread out more-not overheated though. What kind of medicine do you all use specifically and can we get sick from this? My family has been holding the birds daily. I clean everything out daily with soapy bleach water and refill their apple cider vinegar water twice a day and refr
    esh their scratch pad with food abt. 3 times a day. Also should I buy electrlotes or something for them if I start them on a medicine? Thanks for the help.
    I also saw the poo site but didn't see rusty red blobby poo.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    corid or sulmet is what you use for cocci, sorry you lost one. most of the time if you see blood in poo that is usually what it is. when starting any kind of treament where meds are involved a good rule of thumb is also give some kind of probiotic, good plain yogurt or keifer or butter milk, and after treating for the cocci then give them electrolytes. I don't think they should be mixed. but you could try giving some vits by mouth a couple times a day in a dropper along beak line. just be sure it doesn't have iron in it. Let us know how they are and all the best.

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I use sulmet or sulfamethoxine as a six day treatment. Treat the others as soon as possible as cocci can kill in 24 hours. No vitamins or high protein foods while doing the treatment though.

4. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    I didn't realize the poo was bloody-all the poo itself was rusty red-when I read blood in poo I was thinking a streak or spot of it. Darn...thanks for the help, ALOT, because now I can go confidently and get the right things. [​IMG]. Much appreciation...although, I will add, I won't be buying any birds from my feed store anymore...found a local healthy 'chicken lady' who's careful about who her chivkens go to-seems like a safer way to go [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

As I understand it, cocci is carried by previous chickens into the soil, as well as carried about by wild birds. It's just in the environment, although some soils and climates seem more prone to it.

The healthiest, cleanest chicks in the whole world can contract it, AFAIK.

6. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

As I understand it, cocci is carried by previous chickens into the soil, as well as carried about by wild birds. It's just in the environment, although some soils and climates seem more prone to it.

The healthiest, cleanest chicks in the whole world can contract it, AFAIK.

Hi, I read that too-just wondered if they would keep reinfecting each other since there's new introductions nearly each time I go there, that's all. Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

7. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi All,
    So I'm on my 4th day of Cocid for the 2 Javas and 3 EE's, and I'm wanting to give them all vitamins. I bought Durvet Vitamins a& Electrolytes...its in the powdered form. I've heard from a few people different ways to give it to them. One of the Javas keeps pasting up still and I'm thinking I'd really like to help her out especially. I've been putting 2 teaspoons of Cocid per gallon of water, and refilling their water twice daily or more depending on if it gets dirty. What amount of powder per water would you use and how would I give them their vitamins/electrolytes? I don't want to add it to their drinking water since mixing things sometimes causes the meds to not work properly. I thought about dipping q-tips into the vit/water and putting it up to their beaks. What do you think? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by