Chick with SEVERAL leg deformities! Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 20, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have a chick that I think has two slipped tendons and curled feet on both legs. How do I treat him? I'm not sure how old he is. 1-2 days, but I really need to start treating him. What do I do??

[​IMG]

Both legs look like this. Will he live?

2. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I tried to pop them back into place and splint them. One looks like it helped, the other is bleeding. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Splinting is probly the only thing you can do. I know some people use bent q-tips taped onto the leg with fabric bandaids to keep the leg in the proper position. Culling is something only you can decide. I say if it's eating, drinking, and behaving as normal as it can then it can't be too bad off.

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    It can't eat/drink on it's own. I have to dropper feed it. It's hocks aren't swollen anymore, since I repositioned them, but they are bruised as can be. Almost black. I'm just kind of waiting it out to see if he'll improve... He made it through the night. That's a plus, right? =P

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Sorry not sure, good luck.

6. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    Honestly I would try to splint the baby. But if it comes down to it... think of how the bird will function down the road. Will he/she be able to walk? Will they require constant daily care? I had to cull a chick from this order I have right now. I had to force feed for three days then realized that one leg was totally limp and the chick didn't respond to pain stimulus on that side. Stroke maybe? I hated having to cull it and didn't tell my husband because he would have gotten very upset but to be honest... what choice do you have sometimes? A bird with serious mobility problems will be a constant target for other birds. :(

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I think it will have to be culled. I put it's legs back into place and they bend now (which they didn't before) but they are very very badly bruised now. The right leg is swollen again. I'm giving him a few more days and we'll see how he does. I won't keep him in pain if I think he doesn't have a chance.
    We had to cull one from our own hatch. I hate doing it. It sucks and it's sad. But I won't keep a baby in pain because I'm too selfish to kill it. I really don't want to, and I hope I don't have to, but I probably will. :'(

8. littleducks

littleducks Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    Outback, Australia
    I've just hatched a duckling with the same problem. It's eating and drinking and can move its toes but its legs are up in the air. How did your chick turn out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by