Chick with several problems.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardenDave, Aug 28, 2013.

1. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I have a horrible feeling that I already know what I must do but I'm trying everything to give her a nice life until I know there is no other choice.

One of the chicks which hatched last week was born with deformed feet. We put boots on her which didn't really help. She stands still most of the time trying to be as close to the heat as possible, even though her hatch mates are all running around the whole brooder. She is always falling forwards because her toes curl in, meaning she has no long toe to assist with balance. When she is not falling forwards she is leaning into the mesh which stops her touching the bulb, and her other leg is stuck out. When she does try and walk she keeps her leg like this out to the side. I tried putting boots on again but it didn't work. Now, she is the only one left near the light whilst her hatch mates are all off playing. All she does is squeak all day - so much and so loud that sometimes she sounds like a seagul. I don't know if it is pain or frustration :( She is eating and drinking but only because it is a very short distance from her.

What should I do?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My rule of thumb has always been that as long as 'quality of life' remains I will work with an animal. If the quality of life is low, then I know what I must do. Only you can make that evaluation/decision. It is never easy.

3. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I don't know :( She isn't getting the exercise and building her strength. All she does is lean against the mesh squeaking with her leg stretched out. When I move her away from the mesh to stand unaided she does so for a few seconds before slowly starting to fall forwards until she has to move her leg, in which case she kinda hobbles forwards - this happens again and again until she reaches something to lean against. I don't know if she will ever be able to walk properly. If she does then great but if she doesn't I can't imagine her having much of a life. How long do I leave her though before it is certain she won't get better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by