Chick with short top beak.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RubberChickenLubber, Mar 2, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I had to help one of my chicks out of the egg today. It zipped about an inch and stopped. I noticed the top of its beak was shorter than the bottom. I'm thinking it shouldn't be any worse than a debeaked chick. What do you think. I wanted to do pics, but the kids weren't cooperating, and then my batteries died.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    As long as its not too short it should be like having a debeaked chicken.

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    You can look up the special care for debeaked chickens on the net and it should give you some ideas on anything specific you need to do.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For debeaked chickens the main thing is to remember they can't pick up small objects off hard surfaces very well -- they need a deeper surface so the lower beak can 'plunge in' enough to let them grab the piece of food with the short top beak.

So I would think the main thing would be to make sure the chick has somewhere with a good deep layer of food to eat, not just single particles scattered on a paper towel or cardboard box (one food-particle deep).

Good luck,

Pat

5. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    i have one of the "trough" chick feeders with the holes and keep it full, so it has plenty of depth to use to grab. I don't think it's doing too well though. We'll see a little more in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by