Chick with Slightly Curled in Toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dark4, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Dark4

Dark4 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    ME NH border
    I Hatched out 5 Silkies last week and they all hatched on time fast and healthy except 3 of them had curled toes for about 3 days, now all but one has strait toes. so one of my chicks is walking on the side of her feet she can run jump and is eating and growing but can't roost like the others she also has a deeper different voice. will she get better like the others or is it a birth defect from her egg slamming into the side of the incubator over and over, or because we moved her into the brooder with litter one hour earlier than the others. I'm So worried it's my fault and she won't get better [​IMG]

2. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here is a BUMP - - -

Wish I could help, but my hatching is done the al natural way.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. abanjaf

abanjaf Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Quote:No Dark4! It is in no way your fault!!! These things sometimes just happen. Life is beautiful, but it is not perfect. If the toes do not straighten on their own or aren't corrected in the first few days of life, they will remain curled. If she is eating, drinking, running around, and otherwise happy, then do not worry about her. She will be fine. I have a little Mille Fleur Belgian d'Uccle hen with curled toes. My Beatrice is the friendliest, most curious, adorable chicken that I own. You are correct, she can not roost/perch as well as my other chickens, but she manages to do just fine. She has found her "perfect" spot to perch at night (a wide wood beam). None of the other chickens notice that she has curled toes and she can run almost as fast. In fact, she's so adorable, that my large Golden Cuckoo Maran roo has claimed her as "his lady"! Now that is a sight to see!!! They are almost always together when free-ranging in the yard. Sometimes when the grass is tall, I can't even see her. I just need to look for her man in order to find her:) So, I hope you enjoy your special baby as much as I enjoy my beloved, curled-toed Beatrice! Would be happy to post a pix of her and her toes for you if it would help, but it sounds like your Silkie is doing fine:)

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    naahhh it aint your fault!! [​IMG]

First of all you may want to look into making her some chick shoes (Somthing used to correct curled toes) normally you make them with band-aids or sertain types of tape.

If this has been like this for a few days then it may not be able to be corrected. But like the person above said..If she is eating drinking and running around then you have no reason to worry and she'll be fine [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  5. Dark4

Dark4 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    ME NH border
    @ abanjaf Thank you for your comforting words I feel much better now and yes some pic's of your hen would help alot, mabby I can post some pic's of my chick too.
    Thank You

6. abanjaf

abanjaf Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    I have some pix of her as a chick, but I'll take some new ones of her in the morning to post:)

7. abanjaf

abanjaf Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Sent you a PM, but will post pic here too. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, been a crazy work weekend. Anyway, here is my Beatrice, in all her curled-toed glory, happy and healthy:)

[​IMG]

8. Dark4

Dark4 In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    ME NH border
    Thank you, she's adorable. and that looks like the same problem my chick has

9. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by