Chick with splayed leg? (pics) Update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Autumn Mama, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Below are pictures of a 12 day old chick that I have posted about a few days back.

We decided to put a Bandaid on her right leg to see if that would help to bring it back into alignment underneath her, as her "good" leg appears to be (which is her left...). It has been on for the past three days and I'm not sure if it has helped, or what else I might do. The joint on her right leg appears a bit swollen and red, although it's hard to tell because she is so light colored and her skin generally looks very pink.

She hasn't yet had any Poly Vi Sol, though I plan to buy some tomorrow in town.

Any thoughts as to what exactly she has going on, and what I can do for her to correct it? I love her push-em-aside to eat or drink spunk and her petite cuteness. [​IMG] I really want to help her live a happy chicken life with her flock...what do you think I can do?

BTW, when we got her she was hours old and on her feet, she began to eat/drink the next day, all looked normal. Then I gradually noticed she walked much less, just stood alot, and slept on her feet!

Hope the pics help,despite being a little blurry. We just learned how to upload them...

*These pictures were just taken tonight AFTER the Bandaid was removed to check her progress....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Still needs the bandaid for a few more days... looks like you are making progress.

3. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    My gimpy chick as I call it did not display Spraddle till it was 2 weeks old. I had to tape his legs for 2 1/2 weeks before he could stand on his own.
    She looks to be coming along well.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Listen, I don't know much about splayed legs in chickens but in parrots we use makeup sponges to correct the splayed legs. I don't know if they would be effective in chickens or not. I don't see why they wouldn't though.

Laurie

5. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Thanks for the replies!

So, does it look like there's progress then? The swollen joint is okay or should I treat it? Did it look swollen to anyone else? Does the leg still look splayed? At present this morning, she walks witha little hobble, not smooth and sure like her brooder-mates...

We are sooo new to this and want to raise healthy, happy birds and I feel so overwhelmed trying to chart if there's been any progress with this chick. Let me know what you think based on my pictures...

How long at the most should a Bandaid stay on? Is a week too long? It had been on for three days...

6. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Bumping.

Could anyone help me?? Please?? [​IMG]

7. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    bumping again......things move fast around here!!!

8. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Bumping...trying again...anyone can help?

*Should I move this to another forum? [​IMG]

9. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    the swelling is normally damage from sitting back on the hock joint. keep the chick off of it and it should heal just fine, it doesn't look bad. is the joint able to move like it should? is the tendon in place? the chick looks to be standing pretty good. are you putting the bandaid on the actual joint? now that I look closer it really only looks pink in the front in the pics. could it be irritated from the adhesive?

10. Autumn Mama

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    jenni2142, (or anyone else familiar with what she asked...)

What does a tendon look like out of place? It looks okay, but these are our first chicks EVER, so not sure what wrong would really look like.

The Bandaid didn't go on the actual joint, my DH did it by cutting a BA in half.

Irritation from the adhesive looks like a definite possibility...

Thanks so much...any other input? She has been active today WITHOUT a Bandaid on, but I have put another on for overnight, and she'll be in with her mates. [​IMG]

She seems happier with them, but I give her some special TLC in the evening cuddling in my fleece jacket. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by