chick with splayed leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macdoogle2, Mar 8, 2013.

1. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Only the right leg is this way. Out to the side but he can walk around. I tried the bandaid but it seemed to stress him out so much that I took it off. He kept falling over and not eating or drinking. What happens if I do nothing?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you don't splint it, it's not going to get better and it might get worse. His leg will harden and form that way and there'll be no way to fix it. You'll have to splint it, even if he doesn't like it, or he'll be crippled his whole life. He'll be better off if you do it - a little annoyance now for a lifetime of being able to walk correctly and get around.

3. macdoogle2

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    If I splint should I separate this chick? He is just getting trampled. He is 1 week old and I just noticed the problem. He is in with 4 other brooder mates. Pine shavings underfoot and some mesh to keep them from getting feed and water too messy.

4. macdoogle2

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I re-taped his legs so I hope this works. How long does it take

5. macdoogle2

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    How often do I need to check on splint? It's been 24 hours.

6. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
  7. macdoogle2

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm trying the rubber band. Since I had taped the chick's legs together and he is a feathered legged chick I left the tape around it's legs and used a regular rubber band. Made a figure 8 with some tape. It does seem happier and better able to get around. I really hope this works.

8. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That rubber band thing is a good idea! How is the little guy doing now? Do his legs look any better?

9. macdoogle2

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I just put the band on about 20 minutes ago. I'll no better tomorrow. He is walking around better and eating and drinking. Breathing better too and less stressed out.

10. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    How is your splay baby?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by