chick with split on vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Chickens' Maid, Jul 10, 2010.

1. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    I have a three-week old chick with a split on the top of her vent. It looks like someone pecked her; it's a little swollen. It has already started to heal over, but I'm worried that the other chickens will peck at it. Can I put hydrogen peroxide on it, or will that hurt her?
    I'd like to put some antibiotic ointment on it, too. I will probably try to keep her and her mom and the other chicks separated for the evening.

Thanks!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You can use antibiotic cream on it, just not any with "caine" pain reliever in it. (like lidocaine). I think I'd skip the hydrogen peroxide. It damages good tissue as well as bad. Seperating till healed is a good idea, just watch that it is not mom doing the pecking.

Good luck

Imp

3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Thanks for responding! It's healing up really fast, the split has already closed and her vent is a little less swollen.
    The weird thing is that I found a tiny little egg in the broody kennel this morning. I doubt it's momma hen, unless it was a fluke. This chick is about four weeks old. Is it even possible that the egg could be her's?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Glad she's getting better.

4 week old laying... No, not possible. Gotta be mom's fluke.

But truth is stranger than fiction.

Imp- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by