Chick with swollen belly, fleshy 'growth' with pictures... What is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eksterhuis, Feb 9, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Pekin chick (Cochin bantam) born less than 24 hours ago seems very tired and weak, but then they often do for the first while. Being kept in my 'sick bay' with a chick in a sling with super wobbly legs!

I think I may have had my bator a bit too humid at the start (my first hatch with one)

Not sure what is up with this little guy though, I have tried searching online but had no luck, any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    His insides are trying to come out of his bellybutton. I think it's called open navel or something like that. I had 4 chicks hatch like that once, I kept neosporin on the areas and isolated them, and the navels ended up going in and healing fine. Some people on here have had success pushing it back in, I didn't mess with mine because it was kinda stuck around the edges.

The danger here is that the intestines will continue to come out. Yours doesn't look too bad, I think it is treatable depending on how the chick feels. Mine were pretty small, I actually mistook it for dried poo at first.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'd put neosporin on it and close it up as much as possible with steri-strips.

4. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I had a chick like this. I put prep H on it and within a day or two it had gone back to normal. That chick has been laying eggs for me for a month now. [​IMG]

5. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks everyone! She's looking a lot chipper this morning! Still isolated but drinking water! My chuck in a sling isn't doing so great, still havin issues standing even with assistance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by