chick with swollen butt after pasty butt cleaned off- please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by warriorchick, Feb 16, 2008.

1. warriorchick

warriorchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hi, I have a 10-day old chick- either a Black sex link or a banned plymouth rock- who had some poo caked on to her bottom for a day or two. Today I washed it off under warm water and worked the whole thing out to discover her but had swollen- It looks like the skin from inside her colon has been pushed out and is hanging in a little swollen ball.

Is this a sign of infection? Is it just swollen? Is it okay to put some sort of ointment on it? I'm really not sure what to do now, although I saw her poop some out of it and it seemed to come out okay.

I'd really appreciate some other thoughts on this!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like a prolapse? Possibly from straining with a poppy but. If it looks like soft pink tissue, a tiny amount of prepH (active ingredient is witch hazel, a vasoconstrictor), should help it go back in. Good luck!

And welcome to the board!

3. warriorchick

warriorchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah- I think you are probably right. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. She is definitely more comfortable and acting happier now, though!

Thank you so much- I'm a new "mommy" and appreciate all the helpful posts on the forum:)

4. hollymc9

hollymc9 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Urbana, Ohio
    We just discovered the same thing on one of our 6 day old Jersey Giants. It's amazing the answers and advice you can find on here :) We noticed the others were pecking at it and have since separated it from the rest until it heals a little. We lost one of our 25 to pasty butt, and don't want to lose another. It seems fine..it's not acting sick or anything. Hopefully this works. New mom to 25 chicks and due to give birth to our second child any day now!!! What a week!

5. Kaseykeepstrack

Kaseykeepstrack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    NW Arkansas
    I had the same thing happen to one of my Barred Rock at 5 days old (pasty butt with prolapse). She was very distressed to be separated from the others, so I treated it and put her back in with them. I soaked it in warm water and then used a qtip to apply some Vaseline. It was bright red and the hair was gone, but she was a lot better the next 2 days. Good luck with new chicks AND a new baby. That's awesome!

6. NCgirl21

NCgirl21 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Concord, North Carolina

Thank you so much. I know this post is over 4 years old but you have saved my little baby from having to go through more pain. I had no idea that the swollen pink tissue was more than just a side effect from the pasty butt. Got preph on his butt within minutes of reading this. Thank you, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by